"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

FoodSaver won't stop vacuuming

I bought a Food Saver a few weeks ago and the instructions are pretty vague. I've tried sealing a few things so far and when I hit the "Vacuum and Seal" button the vacuum will kick on and run without stopping. I eventually hit the "Seal" button just to make it stop. I'm wondering if I'm getting as good of a vacuum as I should and if the "Vacuum and Seal" button should do both by itself. Thoughts?

It looks like this one: Money Saving Tips For Using Your FoodSaver

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Food Saver won't stop vacuuming

They can be temperamental. Make sure there are NO wrinkles, and that you have more than enough plastic to stick in the lip sucking thing. Try flipping the package over, my new FS is more persnickety than my old one was, and the bags have different textures on each side. Hit "cancel" if it doesn't work, and keep sticking the thing in. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Also, make sure the bag opening is completely dry. Any moisture there can prevent a good seal.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I actually tried it with NO FOOD inside, and still with the same result. I'll try flipping the bag over and I'll try some of the premade bags to see what will happen and report back. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Ok, on further investigation, I had the port connected (to the jar attachment?) I figured that it needed to stay connected. I pulled the attachment off and I'm getting about %30 better seals. They're tight without any extra slack in the bags. It didn't matter which side of the bag (textured or smooth) was facing up. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Food Saver won't stop vacuuming

Something so simple...

I had my port connected for awhile when I got my first FS too, took awhile for me to figure out why it didn't work as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Head Chef

It's funny how FoodSaver came out with their own hand held battery operated vacuum sealer soon after Reynolds came out with the Handi-Vac. I owned a FoodSaver awhile back but found I could do just as good a job with the Handi-Vac by Reynolds. While Reynolds has stopped producing the Handi-Vac and bags, I can still buy ZipLock's version of vacuum bags. You merely have to hold the suction cup a bit off the side of the bag hole for it to work just fine. The Ziplock vacuum bags are reasonably priced too, at Walmart.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I am on my second Food Saver. I never buy premade bags. I buy rolls and make my own bags. I sometimes have a problem that it doesn't want to vacuum, but never that it doesn't want to stop. If I notice that it's not vacuuming as it should, I shut it off before it seals and start over. Sometimes it's because I don't make the bag big enough to allow enough to hang into the trough.

Tags
food