"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I bought tons of stuff from Chef's, Amazon and Cooking.com.

Well, from Amazon, I mainly order the Godzilla movies. Stuff for the kitchen, including small appliances, I order from Chef's and Cooking.com.

~Corey123.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
But the "just-seal" ones do not have the vacuuming qualities which would prevent "freezer-burn" and eventual spoilage.

Air in or around food can eventually destroy the quality of it - creating a bad taste and smell! And your meats will dry out and become brown and rancid, causing you to have to throw it away.

~Corey123.
By "just seal" I am referring to vacuuming and sealing, not the canisters--that's all. I just did not find the need for the canisters--and mine did not work well AT ALL. I finally just gave up on it. I still have it and may pursue some tech support from Tilia (which I understand from others is VERY good) to repair it and give it to our son.
GB is probably correct that it does draw a complete vacuum on the canisters. Mine never held that vacuum (which I will grant was undoubtedly a malfunction). However, in my uses, I just do not need that. If I wanted to save lettuce, for example, I think I could draw a sufficient vacuum to do that with a bag. But there is NO doubt--I have saved enough on cheese alone to pay for ALL my Food Savers.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Oops, sorry about that.

I thought that you meant otherwise.

~Corey123.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
I searched for the best price on Food Savers for a few weeks and during the Christmas season (sometime in October) Costco featured this gadget with cannisters and extra rolls of bags. It was the cheapest price for the best unit that I could find. Costco will be stocking up on Christmas stuff in about a month so I would hold off. Food Savers are NOT all the same. There are several different models and they don't all have the same features., so be sure you are comparing apples to apples.
By the way, if you don't have one get it. This is an awesome and incredibly usefull appliance.

Costco has had the Tilia for months. They have one that has cannisters and extra bags. It has the multi-suction function and a bunch of other stuff I cannot remember. I believe the cost is approx. $120.

BTW, in researching different models to compare prices at different outlets, I found that every outlet had different model numbers. I was looking in three or four different stores one day and wrote down model #s and prices for comparison. Every store had a different package with a different model # to make comparisons impossible. Most of what I saw for the multi-feature models was around $120-130 for a multi-function machine and extras such as bags and cannisters in the box.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #15
Master Chef

CostCo's here in VA currently have a ton of FoodSavers for $124.99 that apparently are "starter kits" with bags &, I believe, canisters. They also carry large rolls of extra bag material for purchase separately.

Had a whole display set up with flyers & copies of the instruction manual.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
CostCo's here in VA currently have a ton of FoodSavers for $124.99 that apparently are "starter kits" with bags &, I believe, canisters. They also carry large rolls of extra bag material for purchase separately.

Had a whole display set up with flyers & copies of the instruction manual.
You can get those at Tuesday Mornings for a lot less and on Amazon for less also, I think.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Well don't forget that there are different models. Some are a lot less expensive, even at full price, and others are a lot more.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
Master Chef

Well, I have a very strong sneaking suspicion that "Santa" is bringing me one for Xmas - so wherever it comes from & whatever Foodsaver model "Santa" decides to bring me is fine with me.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
Sous Chef

The ones at Tuesday Morning are with the canisters, etc. My daughter's friend bought one and I have seen them pretty consistently for a number of months at mine. I have gotten very good buys on rolls of the bag material there also--as well as WalMart. WalMart does have one model of FoodSaver that I might warn against--it is a small width sealer and only about $40. That size will be virtually worthless, in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #20
Master Chef

I can pretty much guarantee that "Santa" will be bringing me the $124.99 FoodSaver "starter kit" from CostCo.

And I figure I can have fun getting used to it (never had one before) & playing around with it. And luckily I have the kind of "Santa", who won't be upset if down the road I decide I want to try a different FoodSaver model.