"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior Cook

FoodSavers

There have been many foodsaver discussions in the past and I wanted to let y'all in on a sale FoodSaver is having. Go to www.foodsaver.com and click on the Web Sales. They have three of their models on sale for less than $100. I personally would save up and get the FoodSaver Professional III because I use mine a lot, but the ones on sale are good mid-model types.

Also, now is the time to vacuum pack things while they are plentiful and inexpensive. Last year I vacuum packages a lot of plum and berry juice for use in sorbets/granitas throughout the winter months. I also juiced carrots/celery/tomatoes for use in soups and sauces during the winter months. One thing I learned is that people love to eat Bing cherries, but they don't like the juice, either to drink of in sorbets/granitas. They like to eat grapes or drink the juice, but don't like sorbets/granitas made from it.

Also, you can roast all kinds of peppers/tomatoes, etc and then package them instead of paying exhorbitant prices during the winter months. I have bell peppers, anaheims, jalapenos, etc., roasted, peeled and juilienned, vacuum packaged for later use. Just about anything you can think of that you have in abundance can be vacuum packaged for later use.

Good luck and.....get busy

Old 08-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

You can save MUCH money by buying the FS on Amazon or just about anywhere else. I have had 3. Wore the first very "plain" one out. Second had all the bells and whistles and never did work particularly well. Went back to the basic vacuum model ($50) and am totally happy. But can't live without one.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Try eBay too. Many stores sell brand new things on eBay now. I haid about 50% less at eBay than what Tillia wanted.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Also, try http://www.cooking.com, http://www.chefscatalog.com, and others.

~Corey123.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I searched for the best price on Food Savers for a few weeks and during the Christmas season (sometime in October) Costco featured this gadget with cannisters and extra rolls of bags. It was the cheapest price for the best unit that I could find. Costco will be stocking up on Christmas stuff in about a month so I would hold off. Food Savers are NOT all the same. There are several different models and they don't all have the same features., so be sure you are comparing apples to apples.
By the way, if you don't have one get it. This is an awesome and incredibly usefull appliance.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I have a Kenmore vacuum sealer, and so far, it works great!!

~Corey123.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

That's right==they aren't all the same. But having had one that just vacuum seals and one that has canisters and everything else, I prefer the cheap "just seal" one. It is all I need. If I want to draw a partial vacuum (as the canister does), I can do it.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

But the "just-seal" ones do not have the vacuuming qualities which would prevent "freezer-burn" and eventual spoilage.

Air in or around food can eventually destroy the quality of it - creating a bad taste and smell! And your meats will dry out and become brown and rancid, causing you to have to throw it away.

~Corey123.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
If I want to draw a partial vacuum (as the canister does), I can do it.
On mine the canisters draw as full a vacuum as the bags. It is not a partial vacuum.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I should have remembered Amazon and Ebay since I buy a lot of things there. I do find the Chefscatalog to be a little on the expensive side, though you might find some good deals there.