FoodSavers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjcotton

Senior Cook
There have been many foodsaver discussions in the past and I wanted to let y'all in on a sale FoodSaver is having. Go to www.foodsaver.com and click on the Web Sales. They have three of their models on sale for less than $100. I personally would save up and get the FoodSaver Professional III because I use mine a lot, but the ones on sale are good mid-model types.

Also, now is the time to vacuum pack things while they are plentiful and inexpensive. Last year I vacuum packages a lot of plum and berry juice for use in sorbets/granitas throughout the winter months. I also juiced carrots/celery/tomatoes for use in soups and sauces during the winter months. One thing I learned is that people love to eat Bing cherries, but they don't like the juice, either to drink of in sorbets/granitas. They like to eat grapes or drink the juice, but don't like sorbets/granitas made from it.

Also, you can roast all kinds of peppers/tomatoes, etc and then package them instead of paying exhorbitant prices during the winter months. I have bell peppers, anaheims, jalapenos, etc., roasted, peeled and juilienned, vacuum packaged for later use. Just about anything you can think of that you have in abundance can be vacuum packaged for later use.

Good luck and.....get busy :)

You can save MUCH money by buying the FS on Amazon or just about anywhere else. I have had 3. Wore the first very "plain" one out. Second had all the bells and whistles and never did work particularly well. Went back to the basic vacuum model ($50) and am totally happy. But can't live without one.

Try eBay too. Many stores sell brand new things on eBay now. I haid about 50% less at eBay than what Tillia wanted.

I searched for the best price on Food Savers for a few weeks and during the Christmas season (sometime in October) Costco featured this gadget with cannisters and extra rolls of bags. It was the cheapest price for the best unit that I could find. Costco will be stocking up on Christmas stuff in about a month so I would hold off. Food Savers are NOT all the same. There are several different models and they don't all have the same features., so be sure you are comparing apples to apples.
By the way, if you don't have one get it. This is an awesome and incredibly usefull appliance.

That's right==they aren't all the same. But having had one that just vacuum seals and one that has canisters and everything else, I prefer the cheap "just seal" one. It is all I need. If I want to draw a partial vacuum (as the canister does), I can do it.

But the "just-seal" ones do not have the vacuuming qualities which would prevent "freezer-burn" and eventual spoilage.

Air in or around food can eventually destroy the quality of it - creating a bad taste and smell! And your meats will dry out and become brown and rancid, causing you to have to throw it away.

~Corey123.

Gretchen said:
If I want to draw a partial vacuum (as the canister does), I can do it.
On mine the canisters draw as full a vacuum as the bags. It is not a partial vacuum.

I should have remembered Amazon and Ebay since I buy a lot of things there. I do find the Chefscatalog to be a little on the expensive side, though you might find some good deals there.

I bought tons of stuff from Chef's, Amazon and Cooking.com.

Well, from Amazon, I mainly order the Godzilla movies. Stuff for the kitchen, including small appliances, I order from Chef's and Cooking.com.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
But the "just-seal" ones do not have the vacuuming qualities which would prevent "freezer-burn" and eventual spoilage.

Air in or around food can eventually destroy the quality of it - creating a bad taste and smell! And your meats will dry out and become brown and rancid, causing you to have to throw it away.

~Corey123.

By "just seal" I am referring to vacuuming and sealing, not the canisters--that's all. I just did not find the need for the canisters--and mine did not work well AT ALL. I finally just gave up on it. I still have it and may pursue some tech support from Tilia (which I understand from others is VERY good) to repair it and give it to our son.
GB is probably correct that it does draw a complete vacuum on the canisters. Mine never held that vacuum (which I will grant was undoubtedly a malfunction). However, in my uses, I just do not need that. If I wanted to save lettuce, for example, I think I could draw a sufficient vacuum to do that with a bag. But there is NO doubt--I have saved enough on cheese alone to pay for ALL my Food Savers.

Drama Queen said:
I searched for the best price on Food Savers for a few weeks and during the Christmas season (sometime in October) Costco featured this gadget with cannisters and extra rolls of bags. It was the cheapest price for the best unit that I could find. Costco will be stocking up on Christmas stuff in about a month so I would hold off. Food Savers are NOT all the same. There are several different models and they don't all have the same features., so be sure you are comparing apples to apples.
By the way, if you don't have one get it. This is an awesome and incredibly usefull appliance.

Costco has had the Tilia for months. They have one that has cannisters and extra bags. It has the multi-suction function and a bunch of other stuff I cannot remember. I believe the cost is approx. $120.

BTW, in researching different models to compare prices at different outlets, I found that every outlet had different model numbers. I was looking in three or four different stores one day and wrote down model #s and prices for comparison. Every store had a different package with a different model # to make comparisons impossible. Most of what I saw for the multi-feature models was around $120-130 for a multi-function machine and extras such as bags and cannisters in the box.

CostCo's here in VA currently have a ton of FoodSavers for $124.99 that apparently are "starter kits" with bags &, I believe, canisters. They also carry large rolls of extra bag material for purchase separately.

Had a whole display set up with flyers & copies of the instruction manual.

BreezyCooking said:
CostCo's here in VA currently have a ton of FoodSavers for $124.99 that apparently are "starter kits" with bags &, I believe, canisters. They also carry large rolls of extra bag material for purchase separately.

Had a whole display set up with flyers & copies of the instruction manual.

You can get those at Tuesday Mornings for a lot less and on Amazon for less also, I think.

Well don't forget that there are different models. Some are a lot less expensive, even at full price, and others are a lot more.

Well, I have a very strong sneaking suspicion that "Santa" is bringing me one for Xmas - so wherever it comes from & whatever Foodsaver model "Santa" decides to bring me is fine with me. :)

The ones at Tuesday Morning are with the canisters, etc. My daughter's friend bought one and I have seen them pretty consistently for a number of months at mine. I have gotten very good buys on rolls of the bag material there also--as well as WalMart. WalMart does have one model of FoodSaver that I might warn against--it is a small width sealer and only about $40. That size will be virtually worthless, in my opinion.

I can pretty much guarantee that "Santa" will be bringing me the $124.99 FoodSaver "starter kit" from CostCo.

And I figure I can have fun getting used to it (never had one before) & playing around with it. And luckily I have the kind of "Santa", who won't be upset if down the road I decide I want to try a different FoodSaver model.:)

Back
Top Bottom