FREE Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
Through the Dept of Water & Power (DW&P) in my neck of the woods, you can get a free refrigerator if you meet certain qualifications, i.e. your fridge is over 10 years old & you meet their criteria - in an effort to save energy. It probably won't be your fancy shmancy stainless steel or have all the added bells & whistles - but worth looking into through your local/State power co.

Through the Dept of Water & Power (DW&P) in my neck of the woods, you can get a free refrigerator if you meet certain qualifications, i.e. your fridge is over 10 years old & you meet their criteria - in an effort to save energy. It probably won't be your fancy shmancy stainless steel or have all the added bells & whistles - but worth looking into through your local/State power co.
thanks for the heads up. I will let my relatives who have old fridges know about it.

If I'm not mistaken, one may have to be on lifeline (discounted utility bills), & other circumstances. Worth looking into to see if you qualify.

I don't think Massachusetts has that either.

And if they do, chances are that you might have to wait for 5 to 7 years from the time that you try to put in for one - like everything else here!

At that point, it probably isn't even worth it. When my old one went 2 years ago this coming April, I just went on and bought a new one.

Last edited:
OK - here is the deal on this offer *amy* brought up ... you have to be signed up on the Low Income Discount Rate residential customer program in Los Angeles. Of the 80,000 currently (26 April 2007) enrolled only about 50,000 are expected to qualify for the free fridge because there are some other requirements - like electrical wiring.

Here is the News Release posted (26 April 2007) on the LADWP website ...

Mayor Villaraigosa and LADWP Launch Program to Distribute Energy Efficient Refrigerators to Low Income LADWP Customers

It would be great if more cities/states had programs like this ... but LA has a financial incentive that others probably don't.

Last edited:
I don't think we have that here in San Antonio but we did recently have a free low-flow toilet program. We have droughts here regularly so as an incentive to install low water use toilets, the city would give every household that uses city water up to 2 free toilets. No strings and no restrictions. I got 2 of them - just had to go and pick them up. They are very nice, higher end toilets, too, with push button flush mechanisms. They even came with the wax seal and the toilet seat. They also gave away electric lawnmowers last summer. All you had to do was trade in a gas mower. That was in an effort to improve air quality. City programs are worth checking out if you live in a large enough city to offer them.

We certainly don't have that here! But, a few months ago, if you bought a new freezer, they would pick up the old one for free. We did take advantage of that!!! :)

Some of the big store chains will also do that, most notabley Lowes and now Sears.

I had my old fridge moved out and hauled away by Lowes before they brought up the new one.

Back
Top Bottom