"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: Freezer location
Top 3 30.00%
Side 0 0%
Bottom 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

My stand alone freezer gets defrosted annually. For long-term storage, frost-free is not a good choice.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A side-by-side model was already in a house I lived in and couldn't wait to get rid of it. As someone already pointed out, the freezer was too narrow for a pizza. Plus, the refrigerator side was narrow, too. Whenever I planned something like a holiday meal that required large roasting dishes or casseroles, it was a major undertaking moving everything else around in the fridge just to get those containers to fit. Never again will I have a side-by-side.

Currently, and for many years, I've had the freezer on top model. Like it a lot because there's next to no bending over. Yes, the occasional frozen whole chicken does try to escape, but they're usually exiled to the stand alone upright freezer in the other room.

When Glenn and I got married, he was in the market for a new refrigerator, so we looked at a lot of different types/brands. We were leaning toward the freezer on the bottom until I talked with a childhood friend who's been in the appliance business for over 40 years.

He said the freezer on the bottom models are convenient but, until the industry gets some of the bugs out, we'd be better off with a freezer on top. He related that, for some reason, the motors/compressors/etc. fail quite often with the freezer on bottom appliances and that they are quite expensive to repair. More so than the traditional freezer on top ones. The refrigerator we were considering was quite a bit more expensive than a comparable top-freezer model, so we went with what we knew and have been quite happy.

Just my two-cents' worth.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Many nights that is how I decide what I am having for dinner

I have a small chest freezer which I love, it's an old Coronado, still works great.

The top freezer on the fridge holds popsicles, ice cubes and my frozen herbs. If I had a choice in design, I would have gotten a bottom freezer, but they don't make those in apartment size.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
A side-by-side model was already in a house I lived in and couldn't wait to get rid of it. As someone already pointed out, the freezer was too narrow for a pizza...
I'm don't know what kind of make and model you and Sir_Loin_of_Beef had, but did you try adjusting the top shelf of the freezer? On mine, I have enough room for half a dozen frozen pizzas... on edge.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I'm don't know what kind of make and model you and Sir_Loin_of_Beef had, but did you try adjusting the top shelf of the freezer? On mine, I have enough room for half a dozen frozen pizzas... on edge.
Lean Cuisine?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
But, if your pizza has thawed a little on the way home from the supermarket, well, have you ever had to slam on the brakes on the way home from the pizza place?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I've always preferred the freezer on the bottom. It seems to hold more stuff. I have a chest freezer that has a "flash freeze" setting. I use that when I'm freezing veggies, etc. And, we have 9 other chest freezers between the three houses. Some are actually outside in other buildings...we unplug them as we empty them throughout the year. One is reserved for dog meat and veggies.

I wouldn't miss the freezer that is part of the fridge...I generally use it for short-term stuff--ice cubes, etc.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
Cook

We have a top freezer, but it is too small and there's always stuff falling out of it. I do have a chest freezer, but right now, DH is using it to temperature regulate his beer. I'd love a bottom freezer.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I have a small chest freezer I picked up at Best Buy for 150 bucks worth of gift cards I had been accumulating for years. It's in the garage and that's where I keep whole turkeys, extra loaves of bread and packages of hot dog and hamburger buns from the used bread store, and my Omaha Steaks orders.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
...hot dog and hamburger buns from the used bread store...

The image this phrase generates is not appetizing at all.

Tags
freezer