Fridge shame - secret lives of refrigerators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fridge in the apartment is mine; stove, fridge, washer and dryer in the house will be mine as soon as we get the paperwork finished up and my offer is accepted. I'm sure the assessors will look at everything carefully, since I am the one paying them and they will have Dad looking over their shoulder. Pretty sure my Dad won't let anything get by him, since he is acting as my agent in this matter.

That second fridge will be handy, but will also run up the utility bill if it is not used to full capacity. :angel:

Same here. Home Depot. Whirlpool makes refrigerators for Kenmore and others. This Whirlpool replaces that old Kenmore of mine which kept mocking me with it's strange gurgling sounds. I talked back to it. "You're getting replaced! How do you like that?! It just ignored me and went on mocking me.

When I was fridge shopping when buying this house, I found this fridge as a Whirlpool at Lowe's, Maytag at Home Depot, and Kenmore and Whirlpool Gold at Sears. The only thing that they changed was the emblem on the front! There was actually nothing different about the "gold" version at sears except that it was more expensive than the Kenmore version.

We kept a small white board on our old fridge. We used it to build weekly shopping lists and leave notes for each other.

When we bought the new fridge, we got a new white board. It's magnetic but won't stick to the front of the fridge strongly enough. The metal on the doors is curved so the the flat board can't make contact.

I had to fortify the white board with added magnets to get it to stick to the side of the fridge where it now lives.

Not a problem you expect to have with a new fridge.

We kept a small white board on our old fridge. We used it to build weekly shopping lists and leave notes for each other.

When we bought the new fridge, we got a new white board. It's magnetic but won't stick to the front of the fridge strongly enough. The metal on the doors is curved so the the flat board can't make contact.

I had to fortify the white board with added magnets to get it to stick to the side of the fridge where it now lives.

Not a problem you expect to have with a new fridge.

A flexible magnetic dry erase white board ??? Do they make one? I'll check China's Alibaba. If it's conceivable, Alibaba will have it. You just need to order a minimum of 1000 units.

Last edited:
A flexible magnetic dry erase white board ??? Do they make one? I'll check China's Alibaba. If it's conceivable, Alibaba will have it. You just need to order a minimum of 1000 units.

We get one every year in the mail from a local funeral home :LOL: Just stick it on the fridge. It's our daily morbid reminder.

Easy to make. Laminate a stiff piece of paper, stick on some magnet pieces from the magnet tape you can get at Walmart or any craft store, and put on a small piece of stick-on velcro to both your washable marker and the laminated paper.

Last edited:
The front of the fridge is normally magnetic so I can stick all kinds of magnets to it.

I glued some magnetic strips to the white board and it now sticks to the less magnetic side of the fridge.

We get one every year in the mail from a local funeral home :LOL: Just stick it on the fridge. It's our daily morbid reminder.

Easy to make. Laminate a stiff piece of paper, stick on some magnet pieces from the magnet tape you can get at Walmart or any craft store, and put on a small piece of stick-on velcro to both your washable marker and the laminated paper.

Caslon, you can also go old-school, and use a little chalkboard. There's also chalkboard paint you can spray on just about anything, like a piece of cardboard, and attach aforsaid pieces of sticky magnet tape to the back and apply to your fridge.

Last edited:
Caslon, you can also go old-school, and use a little chalkboard. There's also chalkboard paint you can spray on just about anything, like a piece of cardboard, and attach aforsaid pieces of sticky magnet tape to the back and apply to your fridge.

You meant your reply to others. My fridge front is free of magnets. I like the clean look.

However, on the side of my fridge I have a magnetic hooked towel rack for oven mitts and hot pads and it even has a little bar for a towel. I haven't seen one like it, recently.

Last edited:
I got a bunch of little spice jars super cheap that are magnetized and stick to the side of my fridge. I write the name of whatever they contain in Sharpie marker.

My fridge.. always thought it was too big for one person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 153
I use a white board marker and write on my freezers. For the fridge, I have three square magnets the size of the square post-it note. I write on those with a white board marker as well. They work for holding recipes / notes when I'm cooking or test driving s/thing. I don't like stuff on top of my fridge or attached to it...

Thanks for such a friendly answer. Especially since you have no idea how long it was on the counter thawing. I'm glad most folks here are more thoughtful.

Commercial kitchen? Where would I find such a thing in a town of 350 souls? The replies some of you people give have nothing to do with how real people have to go about things.
Churches and schools have commercial kitchens. Depending on where you live, they will rent out the space. Other meeting spaces (the Legion, fairgrounds, etc.) have commercial kitchens. I live in a rural area. There is a meeting hall at the intersection of 2 dirt roads. It has a commercial kitchen that it will rent out for people preparing food for benefit events. No matter how large your fridge is at home, having a walk-in fridge is heaven! Ditto a walk-in freezer. Food safety and safe food handling is high on my radar these days.

When I was fridge shopping when buying this house, I found this fridge as a Whirlpool at Lowe's, Maytag at Home Depot, and Kenmore and Whirlpool Gold at Sears. The only thing that they changed was the emblem on the front! There was actually nothing different about the "gold" version at sears except that it was more expensive than the Kenmore version.

I have been keeping house for more than fifty years. It has never been a secret that Whirlpool makes Kenmore products. So I have always gone for the Kenmore name. Washer, dryer, iron, fridge. The first washer, dryer lasted me more than 20 years. GE products are the last on my list. Having managed apartments, they have all been furnished with GE. (Hotpoint) I was beginning to think I should develop a love affair with the repair man. I have had tenants ask if they could replace the GE with their own. Fine by me. The GE will go into storage until you move out. And the majority had a Whirlpool. :angel:

Churches and schools have commercial kitchens. Depending on where you live, they will rent out the space. Other meeting spaces (the Legion, fairgrounds, etc.) have commercial kitchens. I live in a rural area. There is a meeting hall at the intersection of 2 dirt roads. It has a commercial kitchen that it will rent out for people preparing food for benefit events. No matter how large your fridge is at home, having a walk-in fridge is heaven! Ditto a walk-in freezer. Food safety and safe food handling is high on my radar these days.

We have none of the above. The Community Center, which is where we had the dinner, has a single fridge smaller than the one in my kitchen. The only possible item there that you could call "commercial" is the grill, and they only have that because it used to be the VFW hall and they bought that for their pancake breakfasts. Even that hasn't been used in years, not since the VFW leased that half of the building to the town for a community center.

The largest church in town also only has a normal kitchen refrigerator. They have these sorts of events a few times each year, and the preparation is virtually always done in different homes, then brought together in a church or the community center for the meal. We served the hot food from electric roasters that were loaned to us by several residents.

This was a fairly typical event for this town. We simply don't have the resources to upgrade. That said, it's not like we set out to poison anyone. I was careful that the meat did not warm beyond a safe level, it wasn't fully thawed when it went back into the fridge overnight and after cooking each batch, it was bagged as soon as it was cool enough and immediately returned to the refrigerator. I'm not remotely as paranoid about food safety as you seem to be, but that doesn't mean that I ignore it either.

I have been keeping house for more than fifty years. It has never been a secret that Whirlpool makes Kenmore products. So I have always gone for the Kenmore name. Washer, dryer, iron, fridge. The first washer, dryer lasted me more than 20 years. GE products are the last on my list. Having managed apartments, they have all been furnished with GE. (Hotpoint) I was beginning to think I should develop a love affair with the repair man. I have had tenants ask if they could replace the GE with their own. Fine by me. The GE will go into storage until you move out. And the majority had a Whirlpool. :angel:

And yet we had GE fridge and range in our kitchen on the island, and have the same (different models) here in Colorado, and have never had a single thing fail. I've had issues with Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Amana and some lower brands.

Unless you buy top of the line Kenmore, they are rather poorly built too. We have a Kenmore dishwasher (it was in the house when we bought it), and it's so noisy that we don't run it until we go to bed with the door closed, because it's hard to hear the TV in the living room over the machine. I pray that it breaks so I can justify a new one, hopefully another KA like what we had in Denver. At least it will be high end, quiet running, with a stainless interior.

Back
Top Bottom