"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just got done removing 5 pounds of magnets off my fridge...
OK we had to replace our fridge last September - after 26 years it just wasn't cutting it (hubby swore it was still good BUT after having to chuck out food all the time I said enough!) and it was the fridge or the hub!! As Forest would say, "That's all I have to say about that." LOL

This fridge must have been designed by a neat freak! No magnets stick to the front of the fridge (the sides do stick but that isn't convenient). That's good and bad.

I had to take a bunch of pics because I too have a small kitchen and I almost had to sit on the table to get these.

I also had to fend off the puddy tat, he likes to go shopping when the fridge is open. LOL If there had been an empty space he would have tried to jump in.

P.S. I didn't clean or rearrange anything. I didn't turn the kitchen light on because the pics would have been to bright so we have dark pics. The first shot is the door-in-door (show case). The others are the inside. Didn't get any of the freezer. I do love this fridge (nice and cold). ONLY problem is that the ice cream is hard as a rock (we needed to get used to solid ice cream LOL).

Old 05-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
36 pounds of ground beef is going to take a long time to thaw on a counter.

I thaw ground beef partially on the counter all the time. It takes quite a long time for the outside of that ground beef to get close to room temperature.

I think this is a case where common sense and checking how thawed the meat is works better than following some preset rules. Of course those rules have to be followed in a commercial kitchen, but I don't think they have to be followed to the letter in a home setting.
Yep. That much frozen meat creates its own environment for a while. I left it out on the counter for about an hour and a half, then turned all of the packages over, as they were still frozen solid on the bottom - still had ice and frost on the outside of the package. once that side started to show some softness, it all got bagged up and placed in the fridge until 1 PM the next day, when I started cooking. The cooking took more than 6 hours in itself, since my 14" frying pan could only practically do about 3 pounds per batch. I would brown up a batch with onions and salt, pepper and garlic, then dump the meat in my 16 quart stock pot. When I had 3 batches done, I would mix in the sauce, then Ziplock bag them and back to the fridge. I ended up with 8 bags.

Nobody got sick and I got nothing but compliments from the 150 people who came to eat. The dinner was to raise money for a young family whose first baby had to be born by C-section at just 1 pound 14 ounces in order to save the lives of both mother and baby. Now, 3 months later the baby is almost 7 pounds, and mother and daughter are doing well, but the non-medical expenses they incurred during the 2 month hospital stay in Denver (120 miles away) were well beyond their means. This is the sort of local charity event that we have at least 2 or 3 times a year here where the community pitches in to help a neighbor who is having a hard time. I'm very lucky to be living in a community where such core values are still observed.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
All I can say is you people all have huge refrigerators...
LOL! Considering that over the years we've added more veggies and less meat to our plates, one pound of kale takes up WAY more space than a pound of steak.

Our first house had a side-by-side, 18 cu ft. After we grew a couple of kids, and they grew and started to play sports, we got a bigger fridge - roughly 24 cu ft.
When we got our latest fridge we no longer had kids at home...but I had started to use the extra space for more produce and a wider variety of foods. Besides, where would I keep my 10 jars of mustard?

That was nice of your community to help that young family. I'm happy for them that their baby is getting healthier. As a mom of twin preemies, I can relate to the family's worry.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

No staging done this is how it is. Working in a grocery store means that buying fresh fruit and veg is on an as needed basis. The crispers are used, one for butter and cheese and the other for baking nuts.

This was definitely a fridge purchase to fit the space, it's technically counter depth without paying a premium, it has no protruding handles which I like because every inch of space counts in a tiny kitchen.

I had to use my foot to hold the door open...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
No staging done this is how it is. Working in a grocery store means that buying fresh fruit and veg is on an as needed basis. The crispers are used, one for butter and cheese and the other for baking nuts.

This was definitely a fridge purchase to fit the space, it's technically counter depth without paying a premium, it has no protruding handles which I like because every inch of space counts in a tiny kitchen.

I had to use my foot to hold the door open...

Heh! I have the white version of yours, Whirlpool, had to get so it would fit in the space the old one was in. Got it at Best Buy.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We got this one at Lowe's, they were having a great sale

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Heh! I have the white version of yours, Whirlpool...
Same here. Home Depot. Whirlpool makes refrigerators for Kenmore and others. This Whirlpool replaces that old Kenmore of mine which kept mocking me with it's strange gurgling sounds. I talked back to it. "You're getting replaced! How do you like that?! It just ignored me and went on mocking me.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's weird but it looks like the same fridge in my new house, can't tell from the pictures, but sure looks similar.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It's weird but it looks like the same fridge in my new house, can't tell from the pictures, but sure looks similar.
So does the one you have now belong to the apartment or is it yours and can go with you? Having a second fridge downstairs could be handy for when something is on sale.

In this state, the landlord has to provide the stove. I don't know if that applies to selling the house also. I sure wouldn't want to go from a stove that is state of the art to a four burner and oven. If the stove looks unsafe, you have the right to call in the gas/electric company and examine it. If it is found to be defective, they will put a red tag on it and the landlord has just a certain amount of days to replace it with a Newone.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The fridge in the apartment is mine; stove, fridge, washer and dryer in the house will be mine as soon as we get the paperwork finished up and my offer is accepted. I'm sure the assessors will look at everything carefully, since I am the one paying them and they will have Dad looking over their shoulder. Pretty sure my Dad won't let anything get by him, since he is acting as my agent in this matter.

Tags
ham