"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #71
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sears has closed up shop here in Missoula and moved on down the road.

Remember "Some Werds" by George Carlin- "It's the same feeling I get when I'm walking through Sears wondering what they did with Roebuck."

Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
If you want to see the repairman a lot then buy a high end and trendy fridge like a Sub Zero. We install quite a few of these and the service guys always come right behind.

My fridge is kicking the bucket. I'll replace it with the cheapest one that fits the space when I can afford it. (Unless I'm lucky enough to find one in a demo to take home) Brand names are a crap shoot these days as far as appliances go. God only knows who and where the parts were made and where and who assembled them.

I'll also make sure it isn't a stainless steel front because if it can't hold a fridge magnet then it isn't right for me and my collection of them.
Exactly why the fridge that will be delivered Thursday is not stainless. What would become of our over 100 souvenir travel magnets? I don't like the look of stainless anyway and from what I've heard, it's a bear to keep free of smudges and fingerprints.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Exactly why the fridge that will be delivered Thursday is not stainless. What would become of our over 100 souvenir travel magnets? I don't like the look of stainless anyway and from what I've heard, it's a bear to keep free of fingerprints.
Same here. I only have a health magnet on my fridge. It has the name of my doctor and that of Winthrop. I also have a pencil holder and a mirror that goes with it. I have a bunch of heavy duty magnets on the side. They are holding up nothing under them. Maybe some day I will find something important to put under a magnet on the fridge.

I have a number of permanent markers in the pencil holder. They are for marking the packages for the freezer. I don't know why I need so many. Every time I go into Dollar Tree, I pick up a couple. Is there a name for "fear of running out of permanent markers?"
Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #74
Head Chef

Quote:
Exactly why the fridge that will be delivered Thursday is not stainless. What would become of our over 100 souvenir travel magnets? I don't like the look of stainless anyway and from what I've heard, it's a bear to keep free of fingerprints.
Having installed many SS appliances I can say if you touch it you'll leave a mark.

Gloves are the only way to handle them and what happens in the future isn't my concern.

And personally I believe fridge magnets express individuality about a person. To me they are fun and the older they are the better. The oldest I can date on mine is 1998 but I've got some from my mom (GRHS) much older that I could never live without.

Yes I check out your fridge magnets when I visit and I'll bet you that you have some I covet.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sears has closed up shop here in Missoula and moved on down the road.
We still have a couple in the city, but the one closest to me in an affluent suburb closed. If you can't make it in that mall, I don't see how you can make it anywhere!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #76
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We still have a couple in the city, but the one closest to me in an affluent suburb closed. If you can't make it in that mall, I don't see how you can make it anywhere!
There could be a couple of reasons BC...the rent was too high for Sears, or the "affluent" public didn't shop there. Sears and Kmart merged some time ago, and Sears products have steadily declined.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
There could be a couple of reasons BC...the rent was too high for Sears, or the "affluent" public didn't shop there. Sears and Kmart merged some time ago, and Sears products have steadily declined.
Yeah, this was during their last wave of closings. If they were still a quality store with quality service, they would have continued to do well there.

I really liked the folks in their optical department, it was run by Luxotica as "Sears Optical" but they had better prices than other Luxotica outlets around town.

The one 15 minutes away is still opened, I'll have to check out their optical dept, and see how they do.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Yeah, this was during their last wave of closings. If they were still a quality store with quality service, they would have continued to do well there.

I really liked the folks in their optical department, it was run by Luxotica as "Sears Optical" but they had better prices than other Luxotica outlets around town.

The one 15 minutes away is still opened, I'll have to check out their optical dept, and see how they do.
I just look for an optometrist I like. I don't really care how much the glasses cost. I buy mine from Zenni Optical Instead of paying hundreds of dollars for one pair of glasses, I get two or three pairs for just over a hundred dollars, including shipping. They have loads of styles and you can upload a photo so you can get a good idea what the glasses look like on you.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just look for an optometrist I like. I don't really care how much the glasses cost. I buy mine from Zenni Optical Instead of paying hundreds of dollars for one pair of glasses, I get two or three pairs for just over a hundred dollars, including shipping. They have loads of styles and you can upload a photo so you can get a good idea what the glasses look like on you.
I've been to their site, I just need to dig out my prescription and give them a shot.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the link. I might try them for a spare pair, I spend a lot on Transitions lenses.

Tags
ham