"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
Head Chef

Hello Corey123. I shouldn't have read this post at all... Excuse me while I have a "want, want, want" tantrum over in the corner.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Haha!!

Hi!! I think that this thread is catching on! People who probably never heard of the machine are probably just now finding out about it.

And some are now having the "want-want-want" tantrum over in the corner - much like yourself and myself also!

I want to try it out and see if it's as good as they say that it is, which I believe that it probably is, or if it measures up to or is better than K'Aid.

~Corey123.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
This member is flabbergasted and says that it's even better than K'Aid Stand Mixers.
That's not saying much, IMHO. I disliked my KitchenAid mixer so much that I sold it on eBay. I found it to be just another overpriced, trendy gadget that looked great sitting on the counter but wasn't worth the cost or the aggravation of using it. So I bought a Sunbeam MixMaster like my mom had (but updated), and I'm much happier.

I know that's considered heresy by some, but I found that the KitchenAid was incapable of mixing all the ingredients well, leaving unincorporated eggs or flour or whatnot on the bottom of the bowl, which necessitated frequent stopping of the motor to move the head out of the way and scrape the bowl. That's not a problem with the MixMaster, in part because the beaters come closer to the side and bottom of the bowl, and it's possible to scrape the bowl as it turns.

It sounds as if the "funny looking mixer" Corey is asking about may combine the best features of both -- although it won't look as cool and trendy as the KitchenAid sitting unused on the counter. Ah, well, life is about choices!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
Sous Chef

It sounds as if the "funny looking mixer" Corey is asking about may combine the best features of both -- although it won't look as cool and trendy as the KitchenAid sitting unused on the counter.

Now, see, I think this Electrolux mixer is super cool looking. And it certainly would be a conversation starter.

My concern with it is that although it sounds as if it does the more mundane chores even better than other mixers, it seems primarily aimed at the breadmaking crowd, particularly those who make large quantities of bread. I don't do that. I shamefully admit to buying my bread.

So I have a feeling it might be overkill for someone like me who would use it for cakes and cookies.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Executive Chef

OMG!!

FryBoy, you could have adjusted the motor head so that the beater(s) could have been closer to the bottom of the bowl! But only the flat beater and the whip - not the dough hook.

I wish you had thought of that before you sold it. Both of my K'Aid Stand mixers can be adjusted like that.

~Corey123.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
It sounds as if the "funny looking mixer" Corey is asking about may combine the best features of both -- although it won't look as cool and trendy as the KitchenAid sitting unused on the counter.

Now, see, I think this Electrolux mixer is super cool looking. And it certainly would be a conversation starter.

My concern with it is that although it sounds as if it does the more mundane chores even better than other mixers, it seems primarily aimed at the breadmaking crowd, particularly those who make large quantities of bread. I don't do that. I shamefully admit to buying my bread.

So I have a feeling it might be overkill for someone like me who would use it for cakes and cookies.

You'd also be able to make large amounts of cake batter with it, for instance a small 3-tier wedding cake or several loaves of banana bread.

The 6-qt. plastic bowl and whip assembly that comes with it, according to the co., can whip up to 20 egg whites for meringue at once!!

~Corey123.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I wasn't aware that the model I had was adjustable (I forget the number, but it was the cheaper home model of the KitchenAid with the tilt head). I saw nothing in the manual about lowering the head. Anyway, I hated having to stop and tilt the head to add ingredients (the stupid plastic slide thing didn't work well) and to scrape the bowl, which is usually necessary with any mixer.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Well, according to K'Aid, there is less scraping of the bowl because of the unique mixing action which is planetary mixing.

K'Aid (Hobart) invented it! Other brand mixers that have it are just copycat
machines of K'aid.

~Corey123.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I'm aware of the claim, but I didn't find it to be accurate. One problem was that I usually don't make huge quantities of anything -- I suspect it works better with large jobs.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Like the K'Aid KPFP850PM that I just got, It's designed to handle constant everyday use.

This mixer is also designed to handle large quantities of bread dough, cake batter, egg whites for meringue and large amounts of whipping cream.

Put simply, it's for the serious baker or cook who entertains or likes to make large quntities of baked goods. I plan to start back selling cakes and breads again like I used to do in the '70s and '80s, so I thought I'd buy it and give it a whirl.

~Corey123.