"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
Head Chef

I do potato peels all the time... I just feed them slowly with lots of water... never had a problem. Egg shells too, with no problems. Meat scraps with lots of gristle don't grind too well, as well as the fibrous veggies.

We upped ours from a 1/2 to a 3/4 horsepower disposal when we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I think most of the suggestions for what to NOT put down the disposal are more to prevent potential clogs than to prevent damage to the disposal. Preventing clogs will really vary from home to home depending on the drain pipes there.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

I am like Andy. I have put almost everything in mine including potato and carrot peels and never had a problem. I also use ice cubes to sharpen the blades. It makes a racket, but just for a few seconds. I just would not put anything very hard down there (with the exception of ice) like cherry pits or rib bones. Chicken bones are fine though. If you can bite through it with your teeth then the disposal should be able to handle it. If you can't then don't think the disposal can either.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Potato peelings will go down OK if you do them gradually with lots of water. Beware of brussel sprout peelings though.....had a wonderful Christmas Eve one year when I was getting the veggies ready for Christmas Day and had the waste disposal 'projectile vomit' shredded brussel sprout peelings all over the kitchen and all over me.....

Paint.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thank you all so much!! I have no clue what horsepwer this one is yet & won't know until closer to the end of the month. Since everything is pretty much finalized, I'll go ahead & tell everyone. The reason I'm asking is because we are moving & the house has a garbage disposal. I've never had one, only had friends growing up with them. I'll be printing this out to hang in the kitchen to refer to after we get moved in.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Yep, we put tater peelings, carrots, egg shells all the time. Just don't stuff too many peelings in it.

Corn husks don't work well. Most things will go down the disposal, as long as you don't overstuff it.

Anytime you have lemons(leftover from recipe) put those in to freshen it up.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #17
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
...I was getting the veggies ready for Christmas Day and had the waste disposal 'projectile vomit' shredded brussel sprout peelings all over the kitchen and all over me.....

Paint.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #18
Master Chef

Another great way to clean out a disposal is to put a cup of baking soda down it followed by a cup of white vinegar (don't run the disposal or water while doing this). The mixture will bubble and fizz like crazy, helping to rinse off all of the "goo" that can build up.

Also, any time I scrub the sink, I run a wet paper towel under the rubber lip/guard part. Scum tends to build up there too.

Jkath is right about the lemon. In fact, any citrus works. I eat a lot of red grapefruit in the winter and those rinds make it smell wonderful!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #19
Master Chef

Oh, how funny. Garbage disposals and dishwashers are appliances I gave up on years ago. To keep the disposal young, the ice with some leaves of mint or other herbs you like the smell of, or slices of citrus (now do NOT toss in an entire stem of herbs or half a lemon in there, it can't take it) ground up will help keep it fresh. Both ice and egg shells, in moderation will sharpen the blades. Again, I'm talking maybe two or three egg shells or a half dozen ice cubes. I've found them more trouble than they are worth, but most people I know think I'm insane to be without one. I've paid to repair the ****ed things in freinds' and in-laws' homes because, heaven forbid, I put food in it. An emergency plumber and MIL's house told me on no uncertain terms that if I wouldn't eat it, I shouldn't put in in the garbage disposal. Does someone around here have a different definition of garbage than I?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
DC Grandma

I put very little in mine..everything you put in has to go through your pipes and who knows what size pieces are going through..

when you use ice, don't turn the water on. You will be surprised at the gunk it cleans out.

I have a friend that told me today her 3/4 carot (forgot how to spell it..LOL) diamond ring fell off the side of the sink and went down the disposel. They retrieved the twisted piece of gold but not the diamond.

Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote