"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Garbage Disposal Question

OK, I figure that a garbage disposal is sort of an accessory so this should fit here. I'm about to have one & I need to know what kind of foods can & cannot go in them. Also, is there anything special you have to do to care for them? Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

Old 06-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Never put potato peels in there!!!

Anything ultra-fibrous can cause damage as well.

Good tip: Cut 1/4 of a lemon and throw it in there. Only turn it on for a couple of seconds. The next few times you use it, you'll get that lemony scent throughout your kitchen.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks jkath! I'll have to remember that about the lemon. Hubby is concerned about it not smelling nice.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Baking soda can be put in too, to absorb any lingering odors.

Here's a biggie:
If you think you've lost something in the disposal, always check with a flashlight before using your hand. I've had broken glass chards in there (from a glass that broke in the sink) that really would have hurt if I hadn't checked first!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks, I don't want to wind up with stiches or anything. With my luck, I'll have to make sure I take all my rings & stuff off before entering the kitchen.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I'm told egg shells are also a no-no although I admit to putting them in there sometimes.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Coffee grounds are a big no no!!
I do put egg shells in mine every day though and have never
had a problem.

Always run it with the cold water running.
Potato and carrot peels are bad news!! Never over stuff it either.

I do the lemon peel trick also, it really works.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'm glad you asked about this. We just put in a new garbage disposal with more power, but I've only had one in the kitchen for a few years anyway. Even the new one did not come with instructions, so I'm not sure what to avoid putting in there as well. I had always put coffee grounds and eggshells down the last one, with no trouble. I put a few potato peels down it as well, but not many. I know my sister in law says she puts almost everything down the disposal. I'm going to do a little internet searching to see what I can come up with.

BC
Old 06-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I put just about everything into my disposal with the exception of bones, corn silk, and beef trimmings (they take a lot of grinding.) Never had a problem.

Ice cubes help clean out and sharpen the blades. If you toss in a lemon or lime peel - cut up- it will freshen the disposal. Run the water while grinding and for a bit after you turn it off to make sure you have flushed all the debris down the drain.

I recommend a 3/4 horsepower motor, or larger if you have a big household. The instruction sheet will give you do's and don'ts.

Good luck. You'll love it.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Garbage Disposals

What can I put down my garbage disposal? You can put just about any non fibrous food down your disposal with adequate water such as meat, bones up to 1/2 inch in diameter, eggs, egg shells , coffee grounds, apples, orange rinds potato peelings.In fact to freshen your disposal if it gets a sour smell drop a whole lemon in and grind it up it

What can't I put in my garbage disposal?
DON'T put anything fibrous such as asparagus, artichokes, celery,

Will a garbage disposal clog my pipes?
NO. A garbage disposal used properly will not clog your pipes. If the drain lines have not been cleaned it is a good idea to have them cleaned before installing a disposer for the first time.

What size disposal should I buy?
Generally garbage disposals come in 1/2 ,3/4 and 1 Horse power models. We recommend 1/2 horse for light use , 3/4 horse for normal home use and 1 hp for heavy home use or light commercial Please call for commercial applications.

Do I have to run water when I use the disposal?
YES. You must run a good flow of water when grinding food in the disposer until the grinding has stopped.This will ensure the food particles are on their way to the sewage plant.

When I use my dishwasher water backs up into the disposal
This is generally caused when food is left in the disposal and not ground and flushed prior to the operation of the dishwasher .It is recommended that you check the disposal for food before running the dishwasher by turning the disposer on with water until clear.

My disposal just quit working
Sometimes a disposer will just stop working . Nothing will happen when you turn on the disposer switch. No humming nothing,. Before calling for service check to see if the disposer plug is plugged in then press the reset button at the bottom of the disposal if this doesn't work call for service.