Garbage Disposal Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
OK, I figure that a garbage disposal is sort of an accessory so this should fit here. I'm about to have one & I need to know what kind of foods can & cannot go in them. Also, is there anything special you have to do to care for them? Any help would be greatly appriciated!!:)

Never put potato peels in there!!!

Anything ultra-fibrous can cause damage as well.

Good tip: Cut 1/4 of a lemon and throw it in there. Only turn it on for a couple of seconds. The next few times you use it, you'll get that lemony scent throughout your kitchen.

Baking soda can be put in too, to absorb any lingering odors.

Here's a biggie:
If you think you've lost something in the disposal, always check with a flashlight before using your hand. I've had broken glass chards in there (from a glass that broke in the sink) that really would have hurt if I hadn't checked first!

Thanks, I don't want to wind up with stiches or anything. With my luck, I'll have to make sure I take all my rings & stuff off before entering the kitchen.

I'm told egg shells are also a no-no although I admit to putting them in there sometimes.

Coffee grounds are a big no no!!
I do put egg shells in mine every day though and have never
had a problem.

Always run it with the cold water running.
Potato and carrot peels are bad news!! Never over stuff it either.

I do the lemon peel trick also, it really works.

I'm glad you asked about this. We just put in a new garbage disposal with more power, but I've only had one in the kitchen for a few years anyway. Even the new one did not come with instructions, so I'm not sure what to avoid putting in there as well. I had always put coffee grounds and eggshells down the last one, with no trouble. I put a few potato peels down it as well, but not many. I know my sister in law says she puts almost everything down the disposal. I'm going to do a little internet searching to see what I can come up with.

BC

I put just about everything into my disposal with the exception of bones, corn silk, and beef trimmings (they take a lot of grinding.) Never had a problem.

Ice cubes help clean out and sharpen the blades. If you toss in a lemon or lime peel - cut up- it will freshen the disposal. Run the water while grinding and for a bit after you turn it off to make sure you have flushed all the debris down the drain.

I recommend a 3/4 horsepower motor, or larger if you have a big household. The instruction sheet will give you do's and don'ts.

Good luck. You'll love it.

[size=+1]Garbag[/size][size=+1]e Disposals[/size]

[size=+1] W[/size]hat can I put down my garbage disposal? You can put just about any non fibrous food down your disposal with adequate water such as meat, bones up to 1/2 inch in diameter, eggs, egg shells , coffee grounds, apples, orange rinds potato peelings.In fact to freshen your disposal if it gets a sour smell drop a whole lemon in and grind it up it

[size=+1] What can't I put in my garbage disposal?[/size]
[size=+1] [/size]DON'T put anything fibrous such as asparagus, artichokes, celery,

[size=+1] Will a garbage disposal clog my pipes?[/size]
NO. A garbage disposal used properly will not clog your pipes. If the drain lines have not been cleaned it is a good idea to have them cleaned before installing a disposer for the first time.

[size=+1] What size disposal should I buy?[/size]
Generally garbage disposals come in 1/2 ,3/4 and 1 Horse power models. We recommend 1/2 horse for light use , 3/4 horse for normal home use and 1 hp for heavy home use or light commercial Please call for commercial applications.

[size=+1] Do I have to run water when I use the disposal?[/size]
[size=+1] [/size]YES. You must run a good flow of water when grinding food in the disposer until the grinding has stopped.This will ensure the food particles are on their way to the sewage plant.

[size=+1] When I use my dishwasher water backs up into the disposal[/size]
This is generally caused when food is left in the disposal and not ground and flushed prior to the operation of the dishwasher .It is recommended that you check the disposal for food before running the dishwasher by turning the disposer on with water until clear.

[size=+1] My disposal just quit working[/size]
Sometimes a disposer will just stop working . Nothing will happen when you turn on the disposer switch. No humming nothing,. Before calling for service check to see if the disposer plug is plugged in then press the reset button at the bottom of the disposal if this doesn't work call for service.

I do potato peels all the time... I just feed them slowly with lots of water... never had a problem. Egg shells too, with no problems. Meat scraps with lots of gristle don't grind too well, as well as the fibrous veggies.

We upped ours from a 1/2 to a 3/4 horsepower disposal when we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago.

I think most of the suggestions for what to NOT put down the disposal are more to prevent potential clogs than to prevent damage to the disposal. Preventing clogs will really vary from home to home depending on the drain pipes there.

I am like Andy. I have put almost everything in mine including potato and carrot peels and never had a problem. I also use ice cubes to sharpen the blades. It makes a racket, but just for a few seconds. I just would not put anything very hard down there (with the exception of ice) like cherry pits or rib bones. Chicken bones are fine though. If you can bite through it with your teeth then the disposal should be able to handle it. If you can't then don't think the disposal can either.

Potato peelings will go down OK if you do them gradually with lots of water. Beware of brussel sprout peelings though.....had a wonderful Christmas Eve one year when I was getting the veggies ready for Christmas Day and had the waste disposal 'projectile vomit' shredded brussel sprout peelings all over the kitchen and all over me.....

Paint.

Thank you all so much!! I have no clue what horsepwer this one is yet & won't know until closer to the end of the month. Since everything is pretty much finalized, I'll go ahead & tell everyone. The reason I'm asking is because we are moving & the house has a garbage disposal. I've never had one, only had friends growing up with them. I'll be printing this out to hang in the kitchen to refer to after we get moved in.

Yep, we put tater peelings, carrots, egg shells all the time. Just don't stuff too many peelings in it.

Corn husks don't work well. Most things will go down the disposal, as long as you don't overstuff it.

Anytime you have lemons(leftover from recipe) put those in to freshen it up.

Paint said:
...I was getting the veggies ready for Christmas Day and had the waste disposal 'projectile vomit' shredded brussel sprout peelings all over the kitchen and all over me.....

Paint.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Another great way to clean out a disposal is to put a cup of baking soda down it followed by a cup of white vinegar (don't run the disposal or water while doing this). The mixture will bubble and fizz like crazy, helping to rinse off all of the "goo" that can build up.

Also, any time I scrub the sink, I run a wet paper towel under the rubber lip/guard part. Scum tends to build up there too.

Jkath is right about the lemon. In fact, any citrus works. I eat a lot of red grapefruit in the winter and those rinds make it smell wonderful!

Oh, how funny. Garbage disposals and dishwashers are appliances I gave up on years ago. To keep the disposal young, the ice with some leaves of mint or other herbs you like the smell of, or slices of citrus (now do NOT toss in an entire stem of herbs or half a lemon in there, it can't take it) ground up will help keep it fresh. Both ice and egg shells, in moderation will sharpen the blades. Again, I'm talking maybe two or three egg shells or a half dozen ice cubes. I've found them more trouble than they are worth, but most people I know think I'm insane to be without one. I've paid to repair the ****ed things in freinds' and in-laws' homes because, heaven forbid, I put food in it. An emergency plumber and MIL's house told me on no uncertain terms that if I wouldn't eat it, I shouldn't put in in the garbage disposal. Does someone around here have a different definition of garbage than I?

I put very little in mine..everything you put in has to go through your pipes and who knows what size pieces are going through..

when you use ice, don't turn the water on. You will be surprised at the gunk it cleans out.

I have a friend that told me today her 3/4 carot (forgot how to spell it..LOL) diamond ring fell off the side of the sink and went down the disposel. They retrieved the twisted piece of gold but not the diamond.

Dove

Back
Top Bottom