Gas cooker "ticking?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
The ancient gas cooker in the new rental is making a sort of ticking noise when the oven is lit...it lights fine and I can't smell gas.....should I be worried? :ermm:

sometimes that's just the metal expanding, but if you are concerned ask the landlord or call the gas co. to check it out.

Andy: only used the oven once before, amid a lot of noise, so not sure.....

Thanks Robo, could well be that...should it stop as the oven reaches temperature if its the metal expanding?

Ours sometimes does that too, usually it happens when the metal round cap in the centre of where the flame is coming up (sorry my inane description and the lack of knowledge for the proper name for this part...:wacko: ) is somewhat misplaced. When I jiggle it and put it back in the right position, it stops making that noise.

Or is the ticking noice the electric starter? My gas stovetop clicks until lit. It's what causes the spark so it will light. Does it go off right after you turn it on? If so, it may very well be the electric starter.

Electric starter? that's a bit too fancy for any stove in an old rental in Southern Europe, ROFL.....landlord did leave a little basket filled with cigarette lighter with dubious pictures on them though, lol.

as it happpened, I decided I'll experiment tomorrow...thanks for prompt info folks!

Thanks, Kitchenelf, I'm grateful, but giggling....its great to remember the simplest things that make life easier....lol.

They do of course, exist here, just not in ropey rentals!

I had a stove that ticked like that when I turned it on. Since I hadn't cooked much, I didn't think anything about it. I thought all stoves 'clicked'.

My gas grill clicks when I use the electric starter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom