Gas cooktop debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myomyers

Assistant Cook
I joined this forum site so I could get input on gas cooktops. Between Consumer reports and Epinions, I am now totally confused...just as I am with vacuum cleaners...but that's another site. ANYWAY, I have a beautiful new Kitchen Aid 30" gas /glass cooktop that has bent stems (for the controls). A repairman has been out twice and now they just came by to replace it with a new one and guess what? The stems are bent also. This gives me a bad feeling.(Bad packing?) I like the top (although have not used it much yet) because for the price (749.00) I got a 17,500 BTU burner and a good range of others. It has the uni-grate, which I like and ceramic top-which I am undecided about.... I am looking at GE, Bosch, Maytag,Meile, etc.-but they don't all have a power burner for that price. I am will to go up in price, but I have heard that the European models have a higher incident of repair. ANYONE know about new gas cooktops-hates and loves????

I really like the look of the kitchenaid gas on glass cooktop but have heard that the knob placement is not good - in the center of the cooktop. I have heard that they melt, continously. GE makes a gas on glass with continuous grates, high btu, true simmer, and the knobs are on the right side. The knobs are also plastic like KA, but off to the side - and if that is not good enough, the stainless version is almost identical to the black but have stainless knobs and a strip (1/2" thick maybe) across the front. It is more money than the KA but a better design, imo. However, I do like the look of the Kitchenaid. Thanks for sharing your complaint - you may have just convinced me the go GE.

Back
Top Bottom