"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef

hey, I grew up with one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I have an electric stove. I would prefer gas, but I resent the "turning up the nose" attitude towards electric that is sometimes exhibited. I also tire of hearing an electric stove used as an excuse for substandard results.

Ducking the flames...
It had a round coil that slowly got redder and redder until it was at the set temperature. I was always fascinated how something that got so hot could be so harmless 20 minutes later.

I wonder what my mother is using now....down in florida...I should probably visit and find out.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
Executive Chef

propane..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
For all but a brief hiatus of two years in the 28 years we have been married we had electric stoves, not a choice.

We both grew up with gas stoves and always missed them.

Now we have one, propane not natural gas, but we love it.

Find it much easier to control the temperature.
Like a tank used on an outdoor grill? I have lived in the suburbs of NYC my entire life. Without sounding offensive or worse, nitwitish, how much propane does it take to run a kitchen?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I grew up with gas, but that was before I got into cooking. By the time I found out I really enjoyed being in the kitchen I only had electric. At first I was really disapointed because you always here how much better gas is, but I do not think this is true. I think both gas and electric have their advantages and disadvantages and one is not really better than the other.

I am very happy with electric as that is what I am used to. I know how to cook on it and I can do it well.
I don't think my kids have ever seen an electric stove. For what it's worth, my kitchen is the size of a postage stamp, and not one of those big "love" ones that brides to be get. It's one of those small ones with a little american flag size. Yet, I can manage to host parties for 60 out of that room. A good cook can always work with the tools they are given.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I don't think my kids have ever seen an electric stove. For what it's worth, my kitchen is the size of a postage stamp, and not one of those big "love" ones that brides to be get. It's one of those small ones with a little american flag size. Yet, I can manage to host parties for 60 out of that room. A good cook can always work with the tools they are given.
Ditto, a true craftsperson(pc), NEVER blames his/her tools!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
I like an electric top (easier to contol temps)...
I'm curious as to why you think that it's easier to control temperature with electric than with gas.

In my experience, temperature is easier to control with gas for two reasons:

1. You can see the size of the gas flame, but with electric all you can see is a dial (which gas also has) and a glow, which doesn't vary that much from one temperature to another.

2. With gas, when you turn the flame on, you have heat, and when you turn it off, the heat dies down almost instantly; with electric, you turn it on and wait 30 seconds for it to get hot, and then it continues to heat up for several more seconds; when you turn electric off, the heat continues until the element coos off, which can be several seconds.

Is your electric stove somehow different?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

Fryboy,

I've had gas tops that you could not turn the flame down low enough (for low simmering) without it blowing out---that's what I mean by controlling it (I'm sure that there are better gas tops out there where that's not a problem but I've not been fortunate in that department) so that's why I prefer electric tops--at least when you put it on low it's low and there's no chance of it blowing out.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:05 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmm, that's interesting, from an engineering standpoint, expatgirl.

like all things that are used for the output of a device and the measurement thereof, the measuring devices should be most accurate within their median "range".

electric stovetops appear to have less accurate range at higher temps, but precise gain and control at lower temps.

most people prefer gas, i'd assume, because there is no lag or delay in the heat applied to the pan, but that's probably a fallacy. the pan, depending on the material used in it's construction will retain a certain amount of heat, so the quick changes of applied heat are not as drastic as what you'd think.

so, like gb and others have said, if you're a good cook, you'll learn to use your tools accordingly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I've cooked on gas for preference most of my life. In fact, I ended up removing an Aga from my kitchen a few years ago, in order to get a gas hob with a wok burner!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I had an electric stove all my life. Now I will be getting A gas stove. Should be interesting to hear the cooking differences. At least its easier to boil water

My blog on how to keep a safe and happy PC free from viruses, scams, identity theft and spyware.

Be sure to click the links if you like it
far3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #20
Master Chef

Still love my smooth top electric range .... no one is cleaning the stove top except me, and if you're the head maid, it is very nice. I also don't have a/c in my kitchen, and gas is much hotter. (Yes, I've cooked on both, for years at a time). Love to cook, hate to clean, and my friend consider me to have the cleanest house. They require different cooking methods, no two ways about it. But until someone puts central a/c in my house and hires me a maid to clean my stove top ... smooth top electric.