Gas or Electric Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mleine

Assistant Cook
I have a GREAT new stove and it has two ovens; one gas and one electric. Any tips on when I should use which? :wacko:

Modern gas and electric ovens are both fine for all uses. Gas ovens generate a little moisture as part of the gas burning process. It's not a lot and won't have a noticeable effect on most things. Some baked goods may benefit from baking in the electric oven.

Pretty equal but if you are baking bread I would suggest using the gas oven. That bit of H20 that is produced by the burning gas actually helps the bread crust. I have an electric oven and always add a pan of water to the oven when I bake bread.

The oven box, where the food is cooking, is a separate chamber from the combustion chamber, and the water vaper that comes from natural gas combustion goes up the flue or out the top vent of the oven, not mixing with or effecting the contents of the oven box. The flames from the gas burner heats the oven box, and it's the heat of the oven box walls that is transferred to the food that's being cooked.

If the fumes from the gas combustion chamber were to leak into the oven box, your oven would be faulty and you might notice the taste of natural gas in whatever you cooked in the oven.

Broilers are different, and utilize the direct radiant heat from below the burner.

Duel fuel,cool!

I didnt know they made them with two differant oven types on one stove.Which one is bigger the gas or electric?Or are you talking about two ovens that are separate from the cook top?I guess that it dosent matter. I have a gas stove and I hate the oven.I have solved most of those problems with an oven thermo. There is nothing I can do about the broiler on my whirlpoop though.I would take an electric oven and a gas cook top everytime.I have no idea why they thought that there were any benifits of adding a gas oven.Like the others said just add a shallow pan of water and bake away.

The oven box, where the food is cooking, is a separate chamber from the combustion chamber, and the water vaper that comes from natural gas combustion goes up the flue or out the top vent of the oven, not mixing with or effecting the contents of the oven box. The flames from the gas burner heats the oven box, and it's the heat of the oven box walls that is transferred to the food that's being cooked.

If the fumes from the gas combustion chamber were to leak into the oven box, your oven would be faulty and you might notice the taste of natural gas in whatever you cooked in the oven.

Broilers are different, and utilize the direct radiant heat from below the burner.

First of all, there are large holes on the floor of a gas oven so the heat has a direct path to the oven box. As a result, the by-products of natural gas combustion (not fumes) pass through the oven to get to the vent. This introduces some moisture into the oven box where the food is cooking.

Second, unless the gas oven is defective, there are no "fumes" to make the food taste like gas.

Back
Top Bottom