"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #11

I would go with the gas cooktop and the electric convection oven if I were you. That would be my ideal!

Old 10-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm a gas stove kinda guy. much harder to use a wok on electric stovetop, and i just like being able to see the flames to adjust the applied heat to the pan.
my parents had an old chambers stove when i was growing up; the same kind rachel ray uses on "30 minute meals". it was an awesome stove, the burners had an extremely high output. it also had a really neat griddle and elevator like broiler on the left side of the stove top. you'd crank a handle, and the griddle lifted up raising the broiler pan underneath.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I find home gas cooktops too anemic. I prefer a good electric burner to a 15,000 btu gas burner. 15,000 btu burners are just not hot enough for me. Add 10,000 btu and I'd be happier. Jump up to 30,000 btu burners and I'd have a smile on my face all the time.

I can boil a pot of water on an electric burner in half the time it takes to boil that same amount of water on a dinky gas burner.

Gas does have one advantage over electric. You can use warped pans on gas burners. Warped pans on electric burners makes life difficult.

In regards to temperature control, there is on problem. It's like a french chef cooking on a hot top. You move the pan off the hot spot. Same with electric. You turn the heat down. If the temperature doesn't drop fast enough, you simply move the pan off the burner.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I definately prefer gas stoves to electric stoves because of the better contol over heat with gas. My experience with stoves in the houses I heve lived in is that they generally dont get hot enough.

I would strongly recommend a gas oven because they are much more efficient. Producing electricity is 30-40% efficient, so the gas or coal that is being burned to produce the electricity is about 2.5-3 times greater than would be required to produce the heat directly with gas. Unless the electricity is from a renewable source the greenhouse gas emissions will be much greater with an electric oven.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I truly like dual fuel...gas top/ electric convection infrared ovens. Home stoves, even Pro style like Viking, Wolf etc, have to restrict the temp to meet code so 17,000 to 15,000 is top btu regardless. But types of pans can really boost cooking efficiency. copper for fast heat up and cool down, iron for long slow and steady.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I just bought a duel fuel stove. I was temped to go all gas because it was about $200 cheaper. What swung my thinking is that while the burners had manual turn knobs the oven was all electronic so there was no manual valve short of pulling the unit away from the wall. I just don't trust electronics and I could see something going wrong.

Incidently the kitchen aid all gas is self cleaning and has a convection feature .
Old 05-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I would go with the gas cooktop and the electric convection oven if I were you. That would be my ideal!
Ditto!

The trend seems to be, get the oven away from the cook top. Put the oven in a out of the way place and use a cook top type of burners. After all who wants to stand in front of a oven and cook while it's on for hours.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

convection ovens rock! moist cooking and saves electricity

I absolutely LOVE my convection oven. It cooks with hot air and very little electricity. It's the size of a microwave but everything I cook in it comes out moist and tender. Plus because it is hot air rather than direct heat it's difficult to burn anything in it.

I only need a small countertop for my needs but I'm sure you can find a larger model. I really love it. My electric bill dropped enormously after a month of using it as well.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

For the oven - electric. Preferably built-in at waist level.

For the stove top - electric (modern ceramic glass flat top). For the following reasons:
a. It's much, much easier to clean (unless you have a maid who does it for you)
b. When running it doesn't produce loads of water vapour and carbon dioxide
c. You can control it just as easily as gas

It's like the change from typewriters to wordprocessors and laser printers. Some people resisted at first, but eventually they saw the truth.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Iíd rather have gas myself, but then again, you canít make Cheech and Chong tortillas on a gas stove!