"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, zagut.

as one might expect, my wife has a good sense of humour.

and she ignores me a lot.

serendiity, i'll tell ya.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I can't imagine a cake baked in a gas oven tastes any different from a cake baked in an electric oven.

The gas flame/electric coil doesn't come in contact with the food, it just heats the box the food cooks in.
The gas emits fumes in the oven so the food takes on all the flavour from that...I do honestly think food tastes different cooked in a gas oven

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Overall I prefer electric believe it or not. With as much as I bake, electric is my choice, and now since buying convection, I wouldn't have anything else. I like that the cooktop allows for a long slow simmer without the chance of scorching, I can leave a pot of sauce on for hours without burning, even if I forget to stir for a while.

I hadn't cooked on a gas in a long time, and I forgot just how much heat a gas cooktop throws off. We were at a friend's house and she had one burner going, you could feel the heat coming from that one burner being almost 10 feet away from the stove. If I ever go for a gas cooktop, it will be a really high end one, and I'll have a big kitchen and a nice sized hood over it to help with the heat.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #34
Head Chef

"The gas emits fumes in the oven so the food takes on all the flavor from that...I do honestly think food tastes different cooked in a gas oven "

Kylie,
The gas burning should be a totally separate system from that of the air inside of the oven. Combustion air should not be a part of the box where you place your food. Carbon Monoxide is not something one wants inside. And that would be the case if the gas combustion fumes were vented in the oven. If you have such a system, Please invest in a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector and be very careful.

Buckytom.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #35
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Our gas oven has the flame in the oven box. Well, if I lift the floor of the oven I can see it, and there is nothing stopping me from doing that (and it is not vapor tight at all).

Not sure how those new fangled ones are built, other than not to last, but ours is 60 years young...
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I too find it not believable that food cooked using gas or electric would taste any different, although the combustion products of burning natural gas does contain water vapor so I believe that could affect baked goods.

A properly adjusted gas stove produces CO2 (carbon dioxide) not CO (carbon monoxide). For example, it is not uncommon for gas stoves to contain no exterior vent at all (no flume) and instead vents the combustion products into the oven and into the kitchen. For example my old gas stove had the vents at the stove top and emits excess heat out the front of the face above the burners. (Awkward to describe -- vertical part at back of stove surface with clock/timer, vents were below clock/timer running across vertical surface facing towards stove top burners.) There is no heat exchanger in the oven. The burners are below in the broiler area, and there are holes to allow the heat to come up into the oven area.

I too recommend that every house should have at least one carbon monoxide and gas detector.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #37
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Our stove vents inside. When we had an issue with the bottom floor separating and part laying on the burner ring, causing incomplete combustion, we got a visit from the wonderful people at the fire department as our CO monitor went off, alerting the alarm company, who alerted the fire department who must come out (per city ordinance) when it is a CO alert. They put a big orange tag on the stove and shut off the gas to it.

When the repair place came out they said they couldn't fix it because they only take parts out of boxes and install them.... (I won't repeat the many and various names I had for them). I made a new bracket and cut down some fasteners and made it work. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Hope we can squeeze out another 60 years on it, or at least until we decide we want to change it. It is too stressful when the stove dictates when it is time to get a new one.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Our gas oven has the flame in the oven box. Well, if I lift the floor of the oven I can see it, and there is nothing stopping me from doing that (and it is not vapor tight at all).
Frank, our oven is the same, the flame is in the oven box and I can see the flame easily at the back of the oven
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #39
Head Chef

Greg,
A cooktop is only vented into the inside air but I assure you that it produces Carbon Monoxide (CO). The burning of any fuel does. But it's such a small amount that it usually isn't a concern. This may also be the case with the ovens. I've only had electric. I've just never seen an oven that burns on the inside of the box where the food is placed. It's usually outside the box.
As Franks oven shows. It emits (CO) because it's burning . Older houses with air turnover are less risk then the newer homes where things are being sealed up too tight in my opinion.
(CO) is not something to play with because it has no smell and sometimes it's too late before it's discovered.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Zagut, perhaps we are simply misunderstand each other. Burning natural gas or propane results in primarily CO2 and water vapor as combustion products, but also produces a miniscule amount of CO as long as the burner is properly adjusted.

Here is an article that describes the process:

The Combustion of Methane (NaturalGas.org)

In essence, CH4 + 2 O2 --> CO2 + 2 H2O + heat.

In real life natural gas is not pure methane, air is not pure oxygen and combustion is not 100% so the products will include small amounts of CO and other undesired or consequential gases. However, carbon dioxide and water vapor are the primary chemical products.

Carbon monoxide and gas detectors are important because they will detect if stoves and furnaces are not operating properly or if a gas leak develops.