Gas range burns too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, this happens with the heat on the lowest level. It's a Samsung, model #NX58H5600. It was rated on Consumer Reports as one of the top gas ranges, which is why I bought it (plus the $700 price tag).

If it's adjusted, will that mean the high heat will be lower? That would be disappointing, because I feel that when I'm boiling water, it doesn't boil nearly as strongly as it did with my old electric range.

Both gas and electric have their pros and cons. The downside of most gas stoves is that maintaining a low simmer can be hard. The more pricy units have special simmer modes.

However, having water boil over at the lowest setting is not something I recall ever happening on my gas stoves.

I'd have it checked out.

CD

My experience has always been to not stir the rice once it starts to boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer. And then stir once put spoon on top of pan. It shouldn't boil over or stick. I also put a lid on my pot of rice only because I can lower the heat to a simmer. Therefor I don't need to use the wooden spoon trick.

That's what you said Addie in case you forgot. Why exactly do you need a wooden spoon at all to cook rice?

That's what you said Addie in case you forgot. Why exactly do you need a wooden spoon at all to cook rice?

When I first put the rice in the water, I use a wooden spoon to stir it. I have a utensil holder right next to my stove that holds a bunch of wooden spoons. So they are what I grab first for stirring any foods.

When I first put the rice in the water, I use a wooden spoon to stir it. I have a utensil holder right next to my stove that holds a bunch of wooden spoons. So they are what I grab first for stirring any foods.

OK, that makes more sense now.
The subject at hand was the video trick of laying a wooden spoon over the top of a pot to keep it from boiling over. I guess you missed that part.

I agree with the "get in touch with Service for adjustments" and I wish you luck.

But in the meanwhile there are two things you can do.

Get the diffuser, I have had one "since Hector was a puppy" and it is on its last legs. Had it from camping days, which was 45 years ago - Same style as Kayelle's. Thanks for the link K have been looking for them. Even when your stove is properly adjusted you will still use it. This is the one I have but sure don't look like that no more! :LOL: shiny new looking! Think I paid $7.00 for it back then.

I always use the diffuser when making rice. Start off directly on the burner then slide diffuser under when ready to simmer.

I use the CI method for making small portion of rice now, so again I use the stove. But when I had a houseful I made my rice the same way GG described. I used a glass dish, rinse rice well, place in dish, add water (broth) two finger widths above the rice and 1 Tbsp butter (or marg), cook on high 5-10 min. Stir, cook on medium high another 10-15 minutes. Fluff. Times vary because strengths of micro's vary. You will have to experiment with yours.

For the last 10 minutes I often added bits and pcs. Peas/Corn or festive style with red/green/yellow/orange diced peppers.
I would also start off wild or brown rice, just a little handful, in lots of water again for about 10 or so and then add the white rice and cook as above. They would then all be ready at the same time. Yummy :yum:

Last edited:
I've been using gas stoves for 30 years and I have never had a diffuser. The low settings on two of my burners work fine for rice (I make rice pilaf on the stovetop and plain white rice in the microwave).

I've been using gas stoves for 30 years and I have never had a diffuser. The low settings on two of my burners work fine for rice (I make rice pilaf on the stovetop and plain white rice in the microwave).
You may not have a need for a diffuser, but others obviously do. If they didn't, there would not be a market for them.

You may not have a need for a diffuser, but others obviously do. If they didn't, there would not be a market for them.

Yep, a diffuser is definitely a must with our gas cooktop. The cooktop is now nearly 25-years-old and performs like it was new. I ended up buying the diffuser pretty much early on because even using the lowest of the lowest of cooking units/eyes, it was still too hot to do a low simmer. The diffuser did the trick.

The cooktop has two "medium" heat eyes, one turbo-heat and the lesser of all, which is the one I use most often. Love our cooktop. The only change I would make is to have it a bit bigger but when I bought it there was a size limitation in the kitchen space. By now, I'm too old for it to really matter.

Hope you get a satisfactory and timely resolution to your problem.

I was actually responding to dragnlaw. My point was that people may or may not need a diffuser, so no need to buy one unless you need it. After the stove is adjusted, it may not be a problem.

Both gas and electric have their pros and cons. The downside of most gas stoves is that maintaining a low simmer can be hard. The more pricy units have special simmer modes.

However, having water boil over at the lowest setting is not something I recall ever happening on my gas stoves.

I'd have it checked out.

CD

I only owned one electric that would simmer properly, and that was because it has a simmer setting for one burner. My 2 gas ranges have never had any problem simmering for hours if need be, even on the large 18,000 btu burner. Both gas ranges have been GE.

I sometimes have a little spluttering of steam and liquid run down the side of the pan when I cook rice, I just chalk it up to a fact of life and give the stove a quick wipe when I do the dishes.

I keep my mother's old stove top potato baker/oven, similar to this one, on hand and use the base as a flame tamer when I simmer sauce on the stove top. The little oven is great for reheating rolls, pizza, etc... I don't really need it but I like it and I have it so I use it. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I could probably do the same thing with a CI pan, a rack and a cover.

vintage-stove-top-oven-tater-baker-for-potatoes-or-warming-leftovers-Cape-Cod-Economy-Oven-label-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-z61071-5.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, this happens with the heat on the lowest level. It's a Samsung, model #NX58H5600. It was rated on Consumer Reports as one of the top gas ranges, which is why I bought it (plus the $700 price tag).

If it's adjusted, will that mean the high heat will be lower? That would be disappointing, because I feel that when I'm boiling water, it doesn't boil nearly as strongly as it did with my old electric range.

A consumer grade gas range will usually not boil water nearly as fast as an electric.

Since the flame is always on as opposed to cycling on and off, many gas stoves have trouble with a gentle simmer, spaghetti sauces and chili will often scorch a bit, and I could see a boil-over with rice.

A consumer grade gas range will usually not boil water nearly as fast as an electric.

Since the flame is always on as opposed to cycling on and off, many gas stoves have trouble with a gentle simmer, spaghetti sauces and chili will often scorch a bit, and I could see a boil-over with rice.

I guess I've been fortunate with my GE range. I can maintain a proper simmer on all four of the burners on my stove, including my "high output" burners and a regular burner in addition to the "precise simmer" burner. I make chili and pasta sauces (among other things) and simmer them on a front burner all the time. I'd be messed up if I couldn't do that.

Of course, a lot of that has to do with the pans you're cooking in as well.

A lot also probably depends on the brand and price point of the cooktops and ranges. My first house had a cheap gas range. I was 25, and couldn't afford upgrades.

My current home has much better appliances... and floors, and pretty much everything.

CD

The apartment complex I'm considering moving into has electric stoves.. I haven't cooked on an electric burner in, perhaps, 50 years.. That may be interesting.. :wacko:

Ross

$700 is a cheap garbage in today appliance world. Stoves are running into 2 and 3 thousand dollars area easily. Having said that, i wish my stove was cooking too hot.

Oh, my electric stove top, I'd hate it. Would love electric oven though.

Back
Top Bottom