"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
... I'm going to work with the electric range.. I know I can make it work..
You'll figure it out. I learned on a gas stove, cooked on one the first year we were married...and then we moved to an apartment with an electric stove. Takes a little while, but you'll soon know what works (take a pot OFF the burner if you don't want it to keep cooking since it takes a while to cool down) and what doesn't (if it's a glass-top stove, don't put a hot pad down on a burner to protect it from whatever you set down there...lest you turn the dial for the wrong burner...).

Also, YAY! on your dear Jeannie joining you. Maybe it's not the cooking that's hard, but the not having you around that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...we only have one senior apt. building here in town, and it's in a horrible location. Sandwiched in between the playground of an elementary school, and the community baseball field. So much for quiet living!...
I swear they do that because elderly people develop hearing issues. If I would have to move into a location like that, I'd be in real trouble with my bat hearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Wow, very nice! And those monthly rental prices...! Can't even imagine....at least not in CA...
People who have always lived near a coast can't begin to believe what a bargain it is to move inland. Sure you aren't near an ocean any more, but the trade-off is more money to see and do more things - including a vacation to the coast. Just look for a house on a small lake.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
YAY!!!

That is a beautiful complex Ross, good find! And what a great price too!
What utilities are included in the cost btw?

I need to add a disclaimer.... There are some apartments reserved for low income seniors.. I suppose that as a marketing ploy, they show the low income eligible prices on the site.. Market rate is $595 for 1bed1/bath, $710 for the 2bed/2bath, which is what we will be taking.. Still a very, very good price compared to PG.. Our 1bed/1bath was $1200, on its way to $1500..
The beach is the $$ draw, plus the privilege of paying Cali prices on everything...

Included in Cobblestone is just sewer and garbage but, there is also a small gym, a lap pool, kitchen/meeting room, activities for those who wish them and the bookmobile comes every Monday.. In PG for our $1200 we got garbage paid..

And... Thanks for the YAY!!!...

Ross

Old 02-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef

In some states, you are required to include a percentage of the apartments for low income renters. There may be some sort of a financial incentive as well.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
...and the bookmobile comes every Monday...
Wow, that's a throwback word I never thought I'd see again. I remember how much fun it was to file out of our grade school classes to go to the bookmobile. Good times...

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #55
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wow, that's a throwback word I never thought I'd see again. I remember how much fun it was to file out of our grade school classes to go to the bookmobile. Good times...

Uh huh... My mother was pretty crippled up and bookmobile day was a wonderful day for her..

Ross
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
OK, thanks. Addie said she cooks rice without a lid. I can't imagine that.
Not always. It depends on if I remember to put the lid on. One thing I always do is I put in a little extra liquid. I like my rice really soft. Also like my pasta that way.

Sometimes I would have rice than a baked potato smothered in butter and sour cream. I use beef or chicken stock in place of the water.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

In Massachusetts, every landlord is required to provide the stove for each apartment. . It must pass the code inspection.

When you sell a home here, it must include a stove that can pass a code inspection, or you can't sell your home. But there can be an agreement between buyer and seller that the seller is taking the stove with them and the buyer wants to buy her own stove anyway.

At one time there was a law passed that every time a tenant moved out or you were selling your home, you had to replace the toilet seat. That law didn't last long.

Good reason for that first law. Some folks would move out and leave a defective stove behind and not let anyone know. Next tenant would move in and before you knew it, there was a house fire.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Not always. It depends on if I remember to put the lid on. One thing I always do is I put in a little extra liquid. I like my rice really soft. Also like my pasta that way.

Sometimes I would have rice than a baked potato smothered in butter and sour cream. I use beef or chicken stock in place of the water.
Hey, I'm over it Addie.. 04-14-2017
Cook your rice however you want.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #59
Master Chef

I always cook rice without a lid..I cook it like pasta..I boil it and keep checking it..when it is al dente, I drain it, rinse it with cold water and let it continue to drain in the strainer..then I'll heat it again later with whatever added ingredients I desire...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I always cook rice without a lid..I cook it like pasta..I boil it and keep checking it..when it is al dente, I drain it, rinse it with cold water and let it continue to drain in the strainer..then I'll heat it again later with whatever added ingredients I desire...
A girlfriend does it the same way - I was so completely shocked! But it was delish so who am I to argue!