Gas range burns too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ykies, an electric stove would be a deal breaker for me Ross. Is electric cooking the norm there?

Every apartment complex I have looked into and most small rented homes, use electric .. I'm told its a safety issue, to some degree..

I have come across a 55+ complex with great amenities and very reasonable pricing, etc.. Lovely 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartments.. Excellent location, etc. Everything I will need so... I'm going to work with the electric range.. I know I can make it work.. :)

Every apartment complex I have looked into and most small rented homes, use electric .. I'm told its a safety issue, to some degree..

I have come across a 55+ complex with great amenities and very reasonable pricing, etc.. Lovely 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartments.. Excellent location, etc. Everything I will need so... I'm going to work with the electric range.. I know I can make it work.. :)

I know you can only have electric stoves in some parts of the country, unlike here in Californa. I cooked with electric for about a year as a newlywed and hated it, learning on gas. With your great attitude, I know you'll get used to it Ross. Keep us posted with your hunt, and we'd love pictures!! :)

Most of the homes I've seen with gas ranges either had it installed as a custom upgrade during original construction, or it was put in as part of a kitchen remodel. We have done it both ways, but neither of the houses we bought from private owners had gas ranges. Our first one would have been too costly to run the gas line to the kitchen, so we did without. Our second home we had it built into the original design, and here where we are now, we put in a gas range after we had been here for a little over a year.

Kayelle and Rick....

I believe I can adapt to electric..

A few mishaps, a laugh here, a cuss there and I'll get it down..

Besides... I will be doing a lot of IP cooking and plan to buy an air fryer/toaster oven and all that stuff is electric anyway..

Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks??.. ;)

Ross

Kayelle and Rick....

I believe I can adapt to electric..

A few mishaps, a laugh here, a cuss there and I'll get it down..

Besides... I will be doing a lot of IP cooking and plan to buy an air fryer/toaster oven and all that stuff is electric anyway..

Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks??.. ;)

Ross

Ross, if anyone can it's you! :chef: Let us know if the 55+ apartment building meets your final criteria for move-in. If that was the only down side, I could get used to an electric stove as well.

Reminds me...we only have one senior apt. building here in town, and it's in a horrible location. Sandwiched in between the playground of an elementary school, and the community baseball field. So much for quiet living! :wacko::LOL:

There's talk however, about a 55+ mobile home park going up this year out on the edge of town. Beautiful view of the Sierras, a community building, and a grill area. If I weren't already settled in my forever home, I sure would seriously look into it. I imagine it would fill up in a heartbeat out here.

Ross, if anyone can it's you! :chef: Let us know if the 55+ apartment building meets your final criteria for move-in. If that was the only down side, I could get used to an electric stove as well.

Reminds me...we only have one senior apt. building here in town, and it's in a horrible location. Sandwiched in between the playground of an elementary school, and the community baseball field. So much for quiet living! :wacko::LOL:

There's talk however, about a 55+ mobile home park going up this year out on the edge of town. Beautiful view of the Sierras, a community building, and a grill area. If I weren't already settled in my forever home, I sure would seriously look into it. I imagine it would fill up in a heartbeat out here.

Thank you, Cheryl... :)

This is the complex.. If *we go there, it will be in one of the 2bed/2bath units..

https://www.thewootenco.com/property_detail/cobblestone-village-apartments

*Jeannie has decided that cooking is too hard and will be coming to MO when winter leaves.. ;)

Ross

You and Jeannie would be so happy there Ross...I just love everything about all of it....
The public spaces are beautiful and having a balcony of your own to BBQ will be so great when it warms up.
Like Cheryl said, the rent is just jaw dropping. My guess is it would be 4 or 5 times that back home. What's your guess?

You and Jeannie would be so happy there Ross...I just love everything about all of it....
The public spaces are beautiful and having a balcony of your own to BBQ will be so great when it warms up.
Like Cheryl said, the rent is just jaw dropping. My guess is it would be 4 or 5 times that back home. What's your guess?

My Mother lived in a 55+ community here in Arizona when we all first moved
here; when she left to move to Cali, she was paying almost $1000/mo for a 2/2--- very similar to Cobblestone Village, but NO WHERE as nice!

... I'm going to work with the electric range.. I know I can make it work.. :)
You'll figure it out. ;) I learned on a gas stove, cooked on one the first year we were married...and then we moved to an apartment with an electric stove. Takes a little while, but you'll soon know what works (take a pot OFF the burner if you don't want it to keep cooking since it takes a while to cool down) and what doesn't (if it's a glass-top stove, don't put a hot pad down on a burner to protect it from whatever you set down there...lest you turn the dial for the wrong burner...:whistling).

Also, YAY! on your dear Jeannie joining you. Maybe it's not the cooking that's hard, but the not having you around that is. :heart:
...we only have one senior apt. building here in town, and it's in a horrible location. Sandwiched in between the playground of an elementary school, and the community baseball field. So much for quiet living!...
I swear they do that because elderly people develop hearing issues. If I would have to move into a location like that, I'd be in real trouble with my bat hearing.
Wow, very nice! And those monthly rental prices...! Can't even imagine....at least not in CA...
People who have always lived near a coast can't begin to believe what a bargain it is to move inland. Sure you aren't near an ocean any more, but the trade-off is more money to see and do more things - including a vacation to the coast. Just look for a house on a small lake. ;)

YAY!!!
:clap:

That is a beautiful complex Ross, good find! And what a great price too!
What utilities are included in the cost btw?

I need to add a disclaimer.... There are some apartments reserved for low income seniors.. I suppose that as a marketing ploy, they show the low income eligible prices on the site.. Market rate is $595 for 1bed1/bath, $710 for the 2bed/2bath, which is what we will be taking.. Still a very, very good price compared to PG.. Our 1bed/1bath was $1200, on its way to $1500..
The beach is the $$ draw, plus the privilege of paying Cali prices on everything... :wacko:

Included in Cobblestone is just sewer and garbage but, there is also a small gym, a lap pool, kitchen/meeting room, activities for those who wish them and the bookmobile comes every Monday.. In PG for our $1200 we got garbage paid..

And... Thanks for the YAY!!!... :)

Ross

In some states, you are required to include a percentage of the apartments for low income renters. There may be some sort of a financial incentive as well.

OK, thanks. Addie said she cooks rice without a lid. I can't imagine that.

Not always. It depends on if I remember to put the lid on. One thing I always do is I put in a little extra liquid. I like my rice really soft. Also like my pasta that way.

Sometimes I would have rice than a baked potato smothered in butter and sour cream. I use beef or chicken stock in place of the water.

In Massachusetts, every landlord is required to provide the stove for each apartment. . It must pass the code inspection.

When you sell a home here, it must include a stove that can pass a code inspection, or you can't sell your home. But there can be an agreement between buyer and seller that the seller is taking the stove with them and the buyer wants to buy her own stove anyway.

At one time there was a law passed that every time a tenant moved out or you were selling your home, you had to replace the toilet seat. That law didn't last long.

Good reason for that first law. Some folks would move out and leave a defective stove behind and not let anyone know. Next tenant would move in and before you knew it, there was a house fire.

Not always. It depends on if I remember to put the lid on. One thing I always do is I put in a little extra liquid. I like my rice really soft. Also like my pasta that way.

Sometimes I would have rice than a baked potato smothered in butter and sour cream. I use beef or chicken stock in place of the water.

Hey, I'm over it Addie.. 04-14-2017
Cook your rice however you want.

I always cook rice without a lid..I cook it like pasta..I boil it and keep checking it..when it is al dente, I drain it, rinse it with cold water and let it continue to drain in the strainer..then I'll heat it again later with whatever added ingredients I desire...

I always cook rice without a lid..I cook it like pasta..I boil it and keep checking it..when it is al dente, I drain it, rinse it with cold water and let it continue to drain in the strainer..then I'll heat it again later with whatever added ingredients I desire...

A girlfriend does it the same way - I was so completely shocked! But it was delish so who am I to argue! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom