Gas stove help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I have a GE profile gas stove.

Back at thanksgiving something boiled over and so I took the grates off and cleaned the drip pan. That burner has stopped working. Today I decided to clean the pan again from christmas cooking. I lifted up the pan, took the nozzle out and made sure there was nothing blocking the flow of gas and put it all back together, whipped the rest of the stove clean with dish soap. Now 3 of the burners wont light. I can smell and hear the gas coming out and see the spark at one on the burners. What gives?

Occasionally my gas burners will act up. When that happens, I just use an butane "stick" lighter to light the burners that are reluctant. That usually solves the problem. Sometimes a little something gets in the way of the burner lighting. You might try that.

I tried the lighter thing. Actually i used a candle. There is an aluminum base thingy that sits on top of the drip pan and then a black cap thing that sits on top of that to make the flame spread. If I take those two things off, the gas jet will light. As soon I put the aluminum base thing on the flame goes out. Gas is still coming out thou

The aluminum thingie has a hole that runs from the bottom edge to the top side of the burner. It's in the back edge of the cutout where this piece fits over the ceramic sparker. If it's clogged, you will have this problem.

Also, ensure all the slots around the top edge are clean.

I saw the little hole, they look to be clean and open, also the grooves seem to be clean any other ideas

Clearly, gas is available into the stove but it's not getting past the piece in question. Place the burner parts in a plastic tub with a 1/4 cup of ammonia and leave it overnight. (preferably outdoors as it stinks). The fumes will soften any hidden dirt.

If possible, use a thin wire to ensure the hole is open all the way through. That should solve your problem.

I got the stove to work. I lit the candle, held it by the sparker hole and the 3 others lit. I let it burn for a while and it seems to be fine

you have a short circuit, plain and simple, GBIT is shorting out (they often have 4 output windings), use a match and let each one burn for a while so that the entire assembly gets hot. that should drive off any residual moisture that is making it short out.

that`s all it is :)

aha it seems you`ve sorted some of it anyway, as a side note, if you want to save Gas, you can always use a hair-dryer instead, that works too :)

the GBIT arc is sevral thousand volts sure, but the current is Micro amps, and easily passed along moisture rather than a 7mm air gap!

Back
Top Bottom