Gas Stove Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
hey guys...im doing a bunch of upgrades to my house (close to $30K) and am thinking of having the plumber run gas to my kitchen and get a gas stove.

i have always had electric my whole life and have questions....

1. what is the main advantage of gas over electric.

2. what should i look for in a gas stove/oven? i am looking at them at sears.com and they range from $800 to $3000..but they all look the same!!

I can answer your first question. the main advantage of gas over electric is the control you have over the heat. With gas, as soon as you turn the knob the temp goes up or down. With electric, as you know, when you turn the knob the heat coils still need to react as they are holding onto the heat. With gas, the change in temp is instant (or as fast as your pan can react).

$$$ differences included # and size of burners, btus put out, type of oven, etc.

Many like duel fuel, gas burners electric oven. Convection oven. Self cleaning etc.

Normal household gas range burners don't have the heat output of an electric. When using my sister's electric, I can get stuff to a much higher temp than with my gas stove.

You would have to go beyond 15,000 BTU gas burners to match or beat a regular electric. (and that really bugs me)

If you get a glass top electric, you are limited some. A wok doesn't work well. Neither does a two burner griddle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom