"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gas stove recommendations

In my internet search for a new 30" slide-in gas stove, I have googled "complaints" about various brands and am overwhelmed by the number of posts that say "don't ever by this product" on everything! Please respond with positive posts about your stove.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

When reading reviews, you have to look at the totality. If 20 people responded, you will always get one or two who will complain. If you see more complaints than favorable reviews, look elsewhere.

You could go to the library and read the Consumer Reports on this topic. The regularly review kitchen appliances and provide good information.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

gas stove recommendations

I don't trust Consumer Reports. I have made purchases based on their recommendations and found them to be wanting. I'd much rather go to end users for their experiences.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Cook

For major appliances, I've found it's more important to find a retailer you can trust than the brand. They all have problems occasionally. You need a retailer with a service department that can take care of you and not leave you waiting for three months while they order a part from Luxembourg.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have a high end gas range. Wolf. It costs good money. It come with a 2 year everything warrenty and a 5 year limited warrenty. There is a 24/7 customer service line. They take customer service very seriously. I know 2 other people with Wolfs, both are very happy. I know 3 people with Viking. 2 are not happy. My salesman steered me away from Viking. However, many people obviously like them.

Dacor also has nice high end appliances. I have a fridge from them. Their customer service is poor. I will not have a product from them again. Thermador is another company with a long standing reputation.

I have cooked on DCS, Bluestar, and Capital. All seem fine. I have cooked on commercial ranges by Wolf, Vulcan, and Hart.

Simpler home ranges...Whirlpool (top end ok) regular poor. Magic Chef used to be good. GE has a fancy end. And on it goes. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, various appliance companies and see for yourself. You can get 4 or 5 burners on a 30" range. So check out your options.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Hi Crackycook, what did you end up with? I am looking for a 30" slide-in gas stove as well and had the exact experience as you! Very frustrating and am confused and scared to buy a stove. I too do not trust Consumer Reports due to my experience with things I bought from their recommendations. So, I was looking at a Eletrolux at Lowe's.....not quite sure what to do. I really wanted a Wolf but can't afford the $5,000 price! Wish I could find a comparable stove to Wolf, but with a much lower price.

Just wondering what you ended up getting?
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Sorry, I meant to spell your name crankycook! Sorry!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have a Frigidare 30" gas flat cook top stove that I bought after extensive research. It has 5 burners with a simmer burner that is fabulous and a high heat burner for quick boil. It also has convection. I looked at Wolfe, Jenn-aire, etc and this is the best deal I could find with the extras I wanted. I love this stove! I forgot, it also comes with a griddle insert.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your help!

Thank you recipedirect for that tip. I will look into a Frigedare. Glad you are happy with your new stove.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcooking View Post
Thank you recipedirect for that tip. I will look into a Frigedare. Glad you are happy with your new stove.
I sound like a Frigidare salesperson! They make serveral models, mine is part of the gallery series I think.

Liz