"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gas vs. Electric Convection?

Hello all,

We are moving to a new house that will need a new range/oven. The old range was electric, but we are going to be running a natural gas line to the house (for heating), and are going to get a gas range (it's what we have in our current house).

I've heard such great things about cooking with convection ovens, and we are looking at the GE Profile gas range as a possibility. But I notice that the convection models come in two variations: one with just a fan at the back, and one that has an electric element behind the fan (I believe this is what they call "true convection?") The gas-only one will run about $1205, and the electric-convection version is $1571.

Having never before used a convection oven, I'm guessing I'll be pleased with either model. BUT, I have heard that electric-convection provides more even heating than the gas-only type. My question is, just how much better is it, and does that justify the additional cost? (+$366?)

(Also, you should know that we MUCH prefer cooking with gas to electric (at least on the stovetop), even though I know some of you here prefer the all-electric versions, so that is not a consideration for us).

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Jennifer

PS My dear hubby loves to bake cakes (for the kids birthdays ) and pies (for holidays), and he DOES pride himself on the quality of his baked goods, so that does factor in, as well.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

Even if you did not use convection oven I'd still recommend electric oven. I am looking for new stove right now too. As soon as I get 220 to kitchen I'm getting gas cook top and electric oven, or as they call it dual fuel. It is the best way to go.

Also, one should make sure that hot burners are on the front and simmering ones are on the back. If you can afford the stove with say 20,000 BTU, it’s even better.
And then of course there are such nice things like warming shelf with infra red light and tones of other additional toys that were only available on high end appliances only few years ago. I strongly recommend to check some specialty stores and not just Sears or alike, at least you’ll see what is available.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I'm with CharlieD on this one, right now I have a all-gas cooking set up with a conventional oven. I would always use a gas stovetop, but I feel that my next oven will be a electric oven.

For some reason I just see an electric oven being able to provide a more stable and exact temperature then a gas oven. Whether or not this is the case I'm not sure. I also have a preconception in my mind that electric ovens are more suitable for convection, but I don't know where that comes from (perhaps because all the convection ovens I have used are electric).
Old 02-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Master Chef

In part it is because gas ovens cannot put out enough heat, needed for convection.

Here is the stove I am looking at to get.