GE-18-Quart Roaster Oven Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deb741

Assistant Cook
I need some advice on cooking 20 lb. turkey on my roaster oven. I am gonna add stuffing to this bird. Also it says to add water on this roaster oven. Do yall add water on the roaster oven? Do yall cover your turkey with foil or not? Will the foil burn if added to the turkey? Im really green about this roaster oven. First time cooking on roaster oven. So i want it to come out good. Also i need some more ideas on what to cook on this roaster oven. Any ideas!!! DEBBIE. Yall can email me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm here I'm here!
Deb, this is one of the best kitchen appliances I've ever purchased. Since purchasing it a year ago, I've not cooked a turkey in the oven, since the roaster gives better results. I will say, however, that I've not stuffed it, as I don't care for stuffing cooked inside the bird, so I'm no help there.
As for adding water, I would add something much more exciting. Here's what I do:
Inside the cavity of the bird, put 1-2 large navel oranges, each quartered. Leave the skins on, since that has the orange oil in it. Between the skin and the meat, add a mixture of 3 Tbsp.rubbed or dalmation sage, 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Then, mix up in a seperate bowl: juice of 1 orange & 2 c. hot water mixed with 2-3 chicken bouillion cubes. Pour a bit of the liquid into the roaster, set the turkey in and then pour the remaining liquid on top. Rub some butter (please not margarine!) on top of the turkey skin. Cook as long as possible, and now and then ladle out some of the liquid and baste the bird with it.
If you cook this for a very long time, you'll notice that when you take the bird out, the bones will literally slip right out of the meat, and it will be unbelievably moist.

Happy Turkey cooking!:chef:

Deb 741,

I have a Nesco roaster and have roasted an unstuffed turkey and a turkey breast. From somewhere on this forum, several months ago it was recommended that since the turkey will not brown, as in a regular oven, take the basting butter and add a little gravy master to it. It gets grainy looking, but, does give a nice brown color to the otherwise pale bird. The two times I used my roaster to roast a turkey it turned out very moist and flavorful. Also, freed up my oven...which was the purpose of buying the roaster. I have used the roaster over the summer in anticipation of using it for Thanksgiving.
PS. Please let us know how the stuffed turkey turned out. I like to roast my turkey stuffed also, but, was not too sure that the roaster was the way to go with it...You can get some recipes to use in your roaster at www.nesco.com

Last edited:
I have a Hamilton Beach roaster, also, and I agree...it is awesome! I've cooked some wonderful turkeys and bone-in hams in it. Not only does it do a great job, it also leaves my oven open for the dressing, casseroles and rolls.
Jkath, I use almost the same method as you do, except I hadn't thought of seasoning the liquid in the roaster pan. I will do it this year, though!
You're so smart!

:)

Attachments

• Hamilton Beach.jpeg
    Hamilton Beach.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 82,185
Last edited:
I was tempted at one time to get a Rival Turkey Roaster that comes with a high-dome lid. but I never did.

It's been eons since I did a 20 or 22 pounder!

Cooking a turkey in a roaster

5 Years ago we were given a G.E. turkey roaster for Christmas my wife grandparents. I was not excited about this present until about a year later when I pulled it from storage and decided to cook a turkey. The Turkey came out amazing, it kept all of its moisture and was the best turkey we had had in years. It reminded me of those chickens you buy at the store. It was that juicy! So every year now we use the same roaster and it frees up our oven. Just grab a .99 cent baster and every 30 minutes or so squeeze some of the juices over the top. You dont need to have a fancy recipe to have a awesome turkey, dont waste your time. I dont spend alot of time trying to be the chef I'm not. Its easier and tastes better than a conventional oven. It takes about 3 hours for a 15lb turkey. It does'nt get as brown, but if you baste it, it well develop a somewhat brown texture. Enjoy

hi guys could u tell me how to get the chicken brown with crispy skin in a roaster oven

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom