GE Outlet Online Appliance Store Dishwasher Deal... FAIL!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
So, need a dishwasher.. find a killer deal on a discontinued on at geoutletstore.com !

Place my order, pay for installation and delivery... EXHAUSTIVELY check website for restrictions on installation, cuz that's the kind of guy I am, all they say is:
1. Installers can't turn off water supply if it is under your house
2. Local codes might affect installation.

So I check local codes, no restrictions.

THEY CAN NOT INSTALL A DISHWASHER IF YOU HAVE COPPER PIPE PLUMBING.

I am 50 years old, have never lived in a house without copper piping, and have only seen ONE house with PVC plumbing.

So, fair warning if you think of ordering an appliance from them.

(This wins my Stupid Award of 2010.)

Oh man! That surely stinks.

My fail for this week was finding a donation/thrift store that would pick up 2 recliners that I am donating. Goodwill, will pick it up but they want to charge me $20 to do it. Salvation Army, their driver has been injured and they won't be doing any pickups until October.

I wouldn't be in such a tizzy if my new furniture wasn't showing up on Saturday and we hadn't traded in the pickup for a Subaru. It's going to be mighty cramped in this place with all the furniture!

So, need a dishwasher.. find a killer deal on a discontinued on at geoutletstore.com !

Place my order, pay for installation and delivery... EXHAUSTIVELY check website for restrictions on installation, cuz that's the kind of guy I am, all they say is:
1. Installers can't turn off water supply if it is under your house
2. Local codes might affect installation.

So I check local codes, no restrictions.

THEY CAN NOT INSTALL A DISHWASHER IF YOU HAVE COPPER PIPE PLUMBING.

I am 50 years old, have never lived in a house without copper piping, and have only seen ONE house with PVC plumbing.

So, fair warning if you think of ordering an appliance from them.

(This wins my Stupid Award of 2010.)

Yup, God forbid they hire someone with the basic skills to sweat in a copper fitting...... Makes you wonder, don't it? LOL!

So it turns out that this policy isn't unusual...
Lowes and Home Depot both have the same policy....

Makes no difference if you have existing connections from copper to flexible tubing.

SO, I recommend that if you have copper pipe and need ANY appliance connected, that you get pipe insulation, or thin PVC, slit it and cover the copper until the appliance is installed!!!

SEARS has installers with balls who aren't scared of copper!
And they got my business too.. $700 and change worth, simply because they
contract with installers who know their job.
RAH RAH Sears!!!!!!!

Shark Bite Plumbing Fittings, best plumbing invention since indoor plumbing!

water_heater_kit2.jpg

Yeah, and if they were attached to copper plumbing these people STILL WOULDN'T INSTALL.

I was not aware of this limitation. It adds $50 to $100 (or maybe more) to the cost of an appliance to hire a plumber.

I need the name of your plumber. ;)

When we got the new fridge it was close about $400 for the water hookup. :angry:

Plumber quotes here were around $120 an hour plus parts.
Sad thing is we already have an existing simple male-female connection
for the dishwasher.
Guess we stayed blissfully ignorant because our fridge came from Sears too.
(The restriction extends even to existing fridge water line hook ups.)

I think the travel time would get you.

When I had my gas dryer hooked up it cost less than $100.

When we got the dryer (the first time) they wouldn't hook it up because we had one of those bucket filter things. So we sent the dryer back as we had to have the venting installed to the outside, and we had the gas line moved so we could put the dryer in a better spot.

When we had the dryer delivered again (about a year later cause the old dryer died) they wouldn't do the gas hookup for some reason. I don't even remember what it was, so I did it.

We had dinner with some friends the other night and the subject came up and I mentioned I had hooked up the dryer and Kathleen looked shocked. I told her I figured it was fine, for the last 8 years. :ermm:

...I mentioned I had hooked up the dryer and Kathleen looked shocked. I told her I figured it was fine, for the last 8 years. :ermm:

I chickened out and paid to have it done. I had visions of my obituary stating that SO and I had died in a gas explosion due to a faulty installation, but, hey, they saved a few bucks by not calling a plumber!

I had those visions as well. :)

Plumbing, usually, isn't a difficult concept. I did some research to see if I needed anything special (like special pipe tape or such). I soap bubbled.. I sniffed.. I soap bubbled more. I didn't use the dryer for two days and checked it a few times.

Mind you I hate doing plumbing work, but I was irritated about this cause it should have been installed and I think they used an excuse that translates to "I'm just feeling lazy."

So according to the Louisville KY BBB, which is where the company is located, they have "updated" their website information...
Not that I can find!!!!
But I will be watching, just to see.

And the dishwasher saga is over.
Sears came and installed our new one yesterday...
The installer even joked about the copper pipes, and how anyone with
a wrench could have hooked up the water line.

He then proceeded to cut the copper line with the dishwasher water
connection, which for some reason stuck out from the wall about 8 inches,
and put a new valve connector on. Took 4 minutes and no special tools.

I must say, after 2 years of hand washing the dishes, it was nice to rack
em and go watch TV instead!

Back
Top Bottom