"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
Exclamation General Electric Co. to Sell its Major Appliances Division.

I heard this morning on Early Today that General Electric is planning to sell off its major appliance divisson.

Has anyone else heard this as well? I wonder if Whirlpool will snatch THEM up as well. They got just about everyone else.

For years, they've made their own major appliances, and now, like most other co's, they're selling that division off.

__________________

__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I heard this morning on Early Today that General Electric is planning to sell off its major appliance divisson.

Has anyone else heard this as well? I wonder if Whirlpool will snatch THEM up as well. They got just about everyone else.

For years, they've made their own major appliances, and now, like most other co's, they're selling that division off.
read this in paper this am. just have to wait and see, i guess. doesn't really affect me much, i don't think.


babe
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I heard this morning on Early Today that General Electric is planning to sell off its major appliance divisson.

Has anyone else heard this as well?
Probably everyone who was watching the morning news shows - I heard about it on three different networks between 5-7 am.
__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
ronjohn55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,080
Not really surprising. GE is famous (notorious?) for being ruthlessly efficient (especially under Jack Welch) about spinning off divisions that they felt were under performing, had hit their peak, or weren't able to be tops in their industry. It'll be interesting to see who buys them.
__________________

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,599
I don't know what is meant by "Major Appliance Division" but at this point in time, the appliance division is a relatively small part of GE. The appliance division will be put up for auction and it is not known who will bid on it. But guesses are circulating that a German, Chinese and a Mexican company could be interested in bidding. All three of these possible companies are making no statements.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
what with the housing market slowing (slowed) furniture and appliance dealers and manufacturers are also having a hard time making sales. There is a real ripple effect.
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
gadzooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
read this in paper this am. just have to wait and see, i guess. doesn't really affect me much, i don't think.


babe
doesn't affect me. I don't think, either...
__________________
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post
Not really surprising. GE is famous (notorious?) for being ruthlessly efficient (especially under Jack Welch) about spinning off divisions that they felt were under performing, had hit their peak, or weren't able to be tops in their industry. It'll be interesting to see who buys them.


I'm willing to bet that Whirlpool will throw their name in the hat. They've been successful in getting just about every company out there.

They just bought Maytag last year. It's getting to the point where most of the brand name appliance co's are being owned by Whirlpool.
__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I'm willing to bet that Whirlpool will throw their name in the hat. They've been successful in getting just about every company out there.

They just bought Maytag last year. It's getting to the point where most of the brand name appliance co's are being owned by Whirlpool.
Which limits the choices, in my opinion. I've always bought GE because I like their products/features, have always had good experience with them. I guess I may need to get my new electric stove sooner than I planned.
__________________
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that they wouldn't buy a Whirlpool, Maytag or Kenmore Elite appliance because they've had bad experiences witrh them, but they would quickly buy a K'Aid or an Estate major appliance or a Roper.

But little do they know that ALL of those appliances brands come out of the Whirlpool factory!
__________________

__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.