"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I think they are good for small apartments and college kids, but I still associate grill, with open flame. It is more of a low grade pannini press in my opinion.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

The only thing I found the george foreman grill good at doing is taking the fat out of hamburgers, and cooking hot dogs. My family raves about it but I prefer the good old grill over that. Even in 6 inches of snow :-)

My blog on how to keep a safe and happy PC free from viruses, scams, identity theft and spyware.

Be sure to click the links if you like it
far3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Lightbulb

Oh. I've had my George Foreman Grill since early '98, and it's been very loyal to me! Even though the plates are not removable, they clean easily.

I just unplug the unit, let the plates cool, use a little Dawn and water and the cooked-on food residue comes off!! Go back over it will a freshly rinsed rag and the soap is gone and the grill is clean!!

For those of you who might not know it yet - and I'm surprised that no one mentioned it here, there is now what is called The Next Grill-eration Grill, also by George Foreman. This new line of the famed unit now has removable plates that can be washed by hand in the sink or in the dishwasher!

And also, for those who might find it just a bit too tedious to clean the non-removable plates, just spray some Dawn Power Dissolver on them, wait 15 minutes and then clean. That stuff should come right off!

I hopes this info helps.

~Corey123.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone for your comments, but as far as I am concerned I can (and have) bought a grill that is far superior. It has several plates, one plain, one ridged, one for filled sandwiches, and one for waffles. The plates come out for cleaning in the dishwasher, and it is temperature controlled. And I can open it out flat for Yakitory-type cooking.

As I said: George Foreman Grill - fooey.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
We've had one for several years. In my experience, the George Foreman Grill is good for one thing -- grilling sandwiches, which come out much like panini.

Other than that, I agree -- it's a pain to clean, and any meats or fish cooked in it taste steamed.

But for George Foreman's name, this silly device never would have made it off the ground -- and who would trust a guy egotistical enough (or dumb enough) to name all four of his sons George?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Their names are all spelled differently though.

~Corey123.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Im with fryboy it makes a good grilled sandwich like rubens,grilled cheese and great pannini.I like the fact it grills both sides of sandwich at one time it gets the insides nice and hot and melts the cheese really well.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I gave mine away after using it about 4x.

I believe someone said that it would be good for college kids and I agree. No open flame etc.

I lived on ramen in college because we had to cook in a fondue pot, in the dorm. Sometimes we'd even slice hotdogs up in the noodles...oo lala.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
But for George Foreman's name, this silly device never would have made it off the ground -- and who would trust a guy egotistical enough (or dumb enough) to name all four of his sons George?
So you see, every device has its uses and misuses. My George Foreman is going to the beach next week - and that's where it will stay! I'd prefer watching George box, but why not use your fame for profit?

As for naming your sons George, well that's a family thing. Here in Latin America it's considered respect for your parents to name the kids after them. I have a close friend here called Luis. He's very religious, not at all egoistic, and his (5) sons are called Luis Alberto, Luis Josť, Luis Fernando, Luis Guillermo and Luis Miguel.