"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 AM   #1
Senior Cook
George Foreman Grill -- fooey

Having seen several references to a George Foreman Grill I was excited when I saw one on sale in a local Beijing store. I was desperately in the need of a table-top grill as my maid had broken my old one. In Beijing, when you see something in the store you want you grab it fast. Supplies are not reliable or consistent.

I have never been so disappointed in my life with a purchase. The design is abysmal!

There is no temperature control – only a control to determine the duration of the heat. (That’s control?)

The device is the very devil to clean -- the plates are fixed and cannot be removed, and cannot go in the dishwasher. (This IS 2006 George!) The plates are ridged, and therefore making toasted sandwiches on it is restricted to flat sandwiches. In fact the whole darned thing is restricted to cooking flat food.

It is angled relative to the table and cannot be opened out for Yakitory-type cooking.

In other works it is a crummy design.

George, you may know a lot about boxing but you know sweet fanny adams about table-top grills. Go and buy a few table-top grills from Taiwan and learn from them.

I shall deposit my George Fireman Grill in the trash can tomorrow.

advoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I've had them for years and have really enjoyed both the small one and the family size one. True, you can't put them in the dw, but I have found them quite easy to clean. I suppose you overlooked the good points.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
Head Chef
I don't have a george F grill but one that is pretty much like it.I like it for doing burgers and chicken breast and does chopes well too. The clean up isn't to bad, just clean it before it cools completely down. I don't think the this kind of grill is designed for all cooking as is some stovetop grills. Try it on different foods before you toss it or givre it to someone who might use it and like it.Just a thought.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
Sous Chef
I've got one as well.
It's been used once in three years...
cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer
I bought one many years ago. I hated it. I gave it to my grandparents and the love it. It is good for certain things, like burgers.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Senior Cook
OMG!!! I can't believe that you all don't like your GF grill. I've never had one but I recently bought a Lazy Boy recliner. The store (or Lazy Boy) was having a promo where you got a GF Lean Mean Machine if you bought a LB product. Well I tookthe thing home thinking just what I needed was another appliance and used it to grill a burger. I LOVE IT!!! It is intended for flat foods, not chicken thighs or ribs. I doesn't have a temp control because you should know when the burger or chicken breast is done. It takes about 2 minutes to do a burger since it cooks on both sides at the same time. The grill is tilted so the grease falls in the trough provided. Clean up is a cinch. Wet a paper towel with hot water and clean the plates. Not a problem. They have sold over 30 million of these grills so someone like them. If you are trying to make a panini on this grill you're using it for a purpose it was not intended . Read the manual, it tells you what you can and cannot cook on this grill.
VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Senior Cook
I love my George Foreman grill and use it all the time. We recently got his latest (or at least it was the latest as of last year) where you can take the plates off and wash them in the dishwasher, which has helped tremendously. We use it any time we want to grill up hamburgers, hotdogs, or chicken breasts.
Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Mark Twain
Foodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Sous Chef
I bought one thinking it would be a time saver in the kitchen.......I was dismayed and dissapointed to say the least. I would only say that it is good for cooking veggies, pannini sandwiches, hot dogs and sausages, any other meat done in it becomes very dry as the nature of the grill is to press foods thereby squeezing the moisture right out of it. Which most cooks/chefs these days will tell you NOT to press on meats while they are cooking.
Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
Master Chef
Advoca - in the newer version of the GF grill the plates are removable for cleaning. I believe they did this because a competitor (Hamilton Beach?) came out with a nearly identical product a few years ago where the plates were removable right off the bat.

That said - my husband bought me one of the original GF grills long ago, & it now resides in its box in the basement. It's a shame, because I really did enjoy using it for quick burgers, chicken breasts, grilled sandwiches, quesadillas, etc. However, after one year of use, not only did the non-stick coating begin to wear off, but some sort of raised "grudge" began forming on the plates as well. They resisted every possible form of "gentle" & then non-gentle cleaning I could devise, so I gave up. Contacted the company, but they were less than helpful.

Now that the product is improved, I "might" spring for a new one in the future - but it's not high on my priority "gadget" list - lol.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Sous Chef
I find the George Foreman grill to be really good for some things and really bad for others. Before you trash it why not give it another try. I don't care for it for burgers, I like mine a bit greasy but it's great for grilling veggies!

Fresh Cooking From Your Garden
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote