"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

George Foreman grill - grilling help

Hi,

I have just bought a George Foreman grill. I am useless when it comes to grilling via my electric cooker and cannot grill sausages to save my life - why I don't know!!

Yesterday, I cooked several sausages on the Foreman grill, They were horible half burnt etc etc. I layed the sausages between groozes - should I have layed the sausages the width ways?

Can anyone give me foreman cooking ideas please?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Sorry, I'm not fond of my foreman grill but I think laying the sausages width ways would have been better.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!! I layed them the opposite way due to the fact the sausages would have rolled down the grill lol but relised I must be doing domething wrong as they turned out horrid!!

I dont mind the grill, its the 1st time I have a decent home cooked burger since I left home lol - 5 years now

Thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Good point about the rolling...LOL
Glad you like the grill. I don't dislike mine so much as I just don't bother to pull it out most of the time.
Home cooked is always the best!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I had a Carl Lewis grill thing but not that keen on it. It cooked Steak perfect but I just could not get on with it. It had a infuse system but just could not get on with it
Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Also,

if I cooked sausages again on the foreman grill, do I treat it like an oven grill - keep turning the sausages etc or is the purpose of the grill, put the food on and leave it? the instructions are not that clear for me
Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Hi, I used mine a couple times - shouldn't have to turn them, watch your timing, don't over cook. This machine you know is cooking from top and borrom. Google for "George Foreman grill recipes" and see what comes up. Good Luck, and let us know ! Wecome to the site!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I've never done sausage on my GF grill. I have learned cooking on it is a delicate process. The cooking from both top and bottom really expedites the process. Also, my grill does not have temperature control, so you have to be that much more cautious when cooking. I have found for "heartier" meats like beef, which are oft best cooked on a screaming hot surface, the GF works great. When I do marinated chicken, I still use the GF, but I put the chicken on the cold surface and then plug it in so it cooks while heating up. If I put the chicken on the preheated surface, I'll have a super crispy outside and a super rare inside.

I hope someday to try the GF grill(s) that have temperature control. I think that would make all the difference in the world.

Then again, in another post, someone pointed out that the newest GF is the same price as the Cuisinart model of the same product. In that case, I'd go with Cuisinart.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Senior Cook

GF grills are good for grilled vegetables, but I use mine most often these days to make paninis.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

I have/had a GF grill (which has now been relegated to the "appliance limbo" that is my basement.

When I did have it in the kitchen & was using it, I did use it frequently for sausages, but like you discovered, they really have to be placed across. The trick is to hold up the grill from the front (with an oven mitt on), place the sausages, & close the lid QUICK! There is absolutely no turning necessary - that's the point of the upper & lower grill plates. The only problem I ran into was opening the grill to check for doneness. Again, you have to be quick with that lid to keep the sausages from rolling off.

I did enjoy using the grill for chicken breasts, vegetables, sausages, & turkey burgers, etc. The reason mine ended up in the basement was the cleaning issue, since mine was one of the older models without removable plates. I found the cleaning difficult, no matter how soon after cooking I did it, & even just using paper towels (& no abrasives or metal utensils) the non-stick coating on mine started to come off. I contacted the company, but they weren't much help, so into basement limbo it went.

Plus - switching out those plastic "grease trays" was a real pain in the you-know-what. It just took up too much room & was too labor-intensive for me versus just using a skillet on the stove.