Getting a microwave on Monday, woo hoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strangeseraph

Assistant Cook
Hooba! I'm getting my first microwave on monday. I've been wanting a microwave for awhile, this will make my life so much easier. I dislike my stove, and I can't get rid of it; it's part of this apartment. I want to just warm something up I have to have a pot and then all the dishes I have to clean...

Yep, a paper plate or a plastic tupperware and a microwave. Thats it. Will be niiiice. :ROFLMAO:

Any microwave care tips I should know about before going into ownership? Listen to me, I sound like I'm buying a porche, not getting a microwave from a friend.

lol, mwahahahahaaaaaa.

keep the area around the door clean, or you could get cancer... (just kidding. but still keep it clean or the door could stick and andy m. will end up getting mad at me.) :)

buckytom said:
lol, mwahahahahaaaaaa.

keep the area around the door clean, or you could get cancer... (just kidding. but still keep it clean or the door could stick and andy m. will end up getting mad at me.) :)

BT:

I won't get mad at you if Strange Seraph's microwave door sticks...

strangeseraph said:
Hooba! I'm getting my first microwave on monday. I've been wanting a microwave for awhile, this will make my life so much easier. I dislike my stove, and I can't get rid of it; it's part of this apartment. I want to just warm something up I have to have a pot and then all the dishes I have to clean...

Yep, a paper plate or a plastic tupperware and a microwave. Thats it. Will be niiiice. :ROFLMAO:

Any microwave care tips I should know about before going into ownership? Listen to me, I sound like I'm buying a porche, not getting a microwave from a friend.

What brand and size are you getting?:ermm:

You might just as well go for the gusto and get a 1,200-watt unit for speed and a for size, at least a 1.5 or larger.:)

Because the smaller and cheaper the unit, the slower the speed it will have when heating up leftovers and stuff.:ohmy:

If you can afford it, the Kenmore Toast N Wave, which is what I have, is nice. It's big and roomy inside, has 1,200 watts of cooking power and has a 2w-slice toaster built into it! I love it!! And it comes in a choice of three
colors; Stainless Steel, white and black. I bought mine in black. It cost me only $135.00.:)

Get a plastic microwave plate cover to drastically cut down on cleaning the interior. Any splatters of stuff such as gravy or BBQ sauce will be confined under the cover. All the interior would need then is just a wiping with a damp sponge or rag.:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
strangeseraph said:
Any microwave care tips I should know about before going into ownership?

#1 - Read and follow the instructions that come with it.

#2 - Keep it clean! Cover food you are heating - even a paper towel will help in most cases - and keep it wiped clean (refer to #1 above). If you cover the things you are heating - generally a frequent spritz of Windex and a wipedown with a papertowel will take care of things.

Not all microwaves are the same - some have different HIGH power levels which will affect the time they take to "cook" things ... follow the instructions on the packages of things you are trying to cook - and refer to #1 above.

Things I have done....yikes.

Don't run one empty.
Don't accidently hit 32 minutes when you meant 2...and then walk away.

Hope you enjoy it! I love all of ours!

And most importantly, please do NOT use metal contaniers of ANY kind!

Only glass , ceramic and microwave-safe plastic containers.

And make sure that you get one with these features: Popcorn, reheat, defrost, frozen veg, fresh veg, frozen entree, power level, kitchen timer, etc..

And if possible, get one that has the controls on the door.

~Corey123.

I'm not buying it, it's already in existance, my friend is giving it to me. ^_^

Thanks for all the tips, this is going to be fun. :) I bought a microwave safe tupperware this weekend, and I can't wait to use it for something. I might get one of those glass baking dishes for making cakes. The dollar store always has those microwave cake 'n pudding mixes for a buck and I'm spoiled. I want the cake without the work. XD

I second the tip of not running it empty. This can do permanent damage. If you must run it for some reason, but don't have anything to heat then just put a cup of water in it.

One last thing: Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to dry your cat in it!
img_266317_0_5743b97b46fb87b0fd268f34a3251535.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom