Getting meat grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
:chef:I just ordered an electric stand alone meat grinder, which comes with sausage attachment too. I am planning to grind some chicken , beef and pork. I like Sweet Italian sausages , and I really like Hatfield's pepper and onion sausage but they are hard to find, so I am hoping I can make something similar to it.

How do you like the meat grinder you got? I would like to get one, but I'm not sure of the brand, model, price-range that I should be looking at.

Electric stand-alone grinders are great!

I've already used mine to grind meat for burgers and meat loaf as well as meat for spaghetti sauce.

I've got a KitchenAid Pro-6 mixer with the meat grinder and sausage stuffing attachment. My only dissapoinement is that the meat grinder doesn't have a super-coarse (chili grind) plate. But as for making sausages ... no complaints. Like Corey - I grind all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons.

If you find good sausage recipes - you'll have a lot of fun cranking out them "bangers"!

I have 2 meat grinders one is KA atachment and onother one is a stand alone from Northern Hydrilicks. I love it.

Yes I use both. KA more often, simply because it is smaller and faster and easier to deal with. For big amounts of foods I use the stand alone one.

I have a question:

I purchased a decent electric meat grinder (about $80). It comes with several attachments, including a "Sausage Stuffer" which looks like a long funnel.

I would really like to start making some of my own sausages (including cajun, andouille, and bratwurst).

I do not fully understand the procedure. I plan to purchase the following:
* Natural Hog Casings
* Cure
* Soy Protein

From what I understand, I will take meat (such as pork butt) and cut it into pieces. I will then put this through the grinder. Once grinded I will mix all of the spices and cures into the meat. Then I will attach the sausage attachment to the machine and attach a natural casing to the sausage attachment. Then I put the meat through the grinder again (???) and it will be forced into the casing.

Please help me. Is the process that I described correct? I do not want to buy everything needed to make sausage and then find out that I am not able to do it. I see "sausage stuffers" for sale (but they are expensive). Doesn't the meat grinder act as a sausage stuffer?

Any insight to this process would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cajun said:
Then I put the meat through the grinder again (???) and it will be forced into the casing

Yes..... Some grinders come with a "stuffing plate" Sometimes called a "Kidney Plate" so you aren't actually grinding the meat again...Follow your instruction manual, and with a little practice you'll be on your way....

Fun!

I'm thinking of getting the grinder attachment for my kitchen aid. I want to try to make my own corn beef hash. I also want to make my own ground beef.. after watching the movie Fast Food Nation I'm a bit scared of ground beef. LOL

HALP !

I have a beautiful Kitchen Aid meat grinder that gave the "ground meat" a new meaning. Trouble is the ring that hods the knife and the wholey thing onto the body of the machine is broken so the darn thing doesn't work.

Problem : how do I refer to said ring ? Where do I get a replacement ?

Thanks for your help, whoever you are

Andy

HALP !

I have a beautiful Kitchen Aid meat grinder that gave the "ground meat" a new meaning. Trouble is the ring that hods the knife and the wholey thing onto the body of the machine is broken so the darn thing doesn't work.

Problem : how do I refer to said ring ? Where do I get a replacement ?

Thanks for your help, whoever you are

Andy
Here's a link to the KitchenAid site:
KitchenAid®: Stand Mixer Accessories
I would call or e-mail Customer Service to get a replacement part. HTH

Andy, according to the manual that came with your KitchenAid Model FGA "Food Grinder Attachment" - the retaining ring is simply called a "ring":

Insert the grind worm (A) into the grinder body (B). Place the knife (C) over the square shank at the exposed end of the grind worm. Place grinding plate (D) over the knife, matching the tabs of the plate with the notches of the grinder body. Place ring (E) on grinder body, turning by hand until secured but not over tightened. Note: Use wrench (F) for removal only, do not use to tighten ring.

If it is less than a year old you might be able to get a new one for free from KA Customer Support (1-800-541-6390) - otherwise I would call the number Uncle Bob posted (1-800-935-0062).​

Back
Top Bottom