"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Glass Cooktops & cast iron

I've got a glass cooktop and I want to fry up a few things using my cast iron pans. Is there something you can do to prevent scratching the glass with the cast iron? Is there something you can buy to put between the glass and pan?

I didnt realize what a pain glass cooktops were when we decided on getting one.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have my first and last glass top stove and only use CI pans. Although I've never had a problem because I'm careful about not banging or dragging the pans on the glass, I just don't like the glass top as far as cleaning it. I can't get the circlular stains off that other people have so carelessly put on it. Man I hate other people in my kitchen. Guess that's the reason for my user name.
I've never heard of anything that could be put between the CI and the stove top.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I hear ya there, Im never going to get one of those again either. It is a pain to clean. we use a razor to scrape off the stuff.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Master Chef

I like my ceramic/glass stove. Cleaning up is a breeze, for me at least.

I use cast iron on them all the time. They work great.

You just need to be careful about not dragging them across the surface.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Master Chef

I have a ceramic top stove and use CI on it all the time. Even the skillets with the heat ring work well. I don't know of anything to put on the stovetop that will conduct the heat and protect the surface.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCook View Post
I hear ya there, Im never going to get one of those again either. It is a pain to clean. we use a razor to scrape off the stuff.
Razor? any scratches?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
I have my first and last glass top stove and only use CI pans. Although I've never had a problem because I'm careful about not banging or dragging the pans on the glass, I just don't like the glass top as far as cleaning it. I can't get the circlular stains off that other people have so carelessly put on it. Man I hate other people in my kitchen. Guess that's the reason for my user name.
I've never heard of anything that could be put between the CI and the stove top.
Never had any trouble cleaning mine. My wife boils stuff over all the time, I rarely do so, but I get to clean the mess regardless. I break all the rules and use a Scotch Rescue pad on it... hasn't left a single mark. I never use a new one though, always one that been used on pots and pans for a while first.

I love my Frigidaire glasstop, but I don't cook with CI... just never got the habit except for my enameled Dutch oven.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Executive Chef

there are good glass top cleaners out there, and the silicon cream for polishing the tops. I have found they work very well.

I don't own a glass top, but my mom did and my sis does. Neither one was into keeping a clean kitchen so I get to do that work and I've never had a problem getting them clean.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Head Chef

I have one - got it going on 2 yrs- didn't think i would like it- hubbie talked me into as he knows how much i hate cleaning the burners. I LOVE It. Wipes up nice. I did have one time I was making a barbque sauce and it got nasty. I took a plastic scraper (putty knife) and it worked perfect. I also use a used scotch pad and quirt some dish soap on it and go over the top and then my dishcloth to remove it all and then a pepertowel with windex - brings the shine back. sounds like alot of work but really its not. 2 seconds and your done.