Good food processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
I'm looking to get my 1st, what are some good brands/models for a reasonable price? I stopped by Bed bath and Beyond today, b/c I like alot of the stuff the carry, but their processor were all $200 +, unless you bought the teeny tiny ones for $40.

That's a really hard question!
I got my mom one about 100 years ago. It is a cuisinart. I still have that very same one, as it's never given up. I bought another just like it for $10 at a yard sale, and gave it to a friend who needed one. It seems like a lot of folks buy them, use them once, but can't figure out how to do anything with them, so they sell them.

I'd also try going to a different type of store. It seems BBand B gets a bit pricier than other stores. Do you have a Kohl's nearby? They've ALWAYS got sales, and if there's not one on the day you're there, there's probably one within a week. They also send coupons out to those with store cards with like 20% off the whole days' purchases.
That's where I got my kitchenaid mixer, and I got it on sale, with a coupon, etc and saved about $80.

how many people will you be cooking for?
i use the Magic Bullet processer and it works just fine for making enough curried chicken salad or curried carrot soup for four. i can make 2 smoothies at once in it, too. it has a blender attachment, but it's still a food processer-type blade that you attach to it. it comes with two different kinds of blades. it only cost $100 and i got 2, one of which i intend to sell. the only thing is, if you let it run for more than 60 seconds at a time, the motor can burn out.
my Dad has a mini cuisinart and it works fine to make enough food for a family of four, too, since you generally don't grind up an entire meal in it, of course.

I generally just use a knife for most meals, but FP's are wonderful for when I'm entertaining. I also like to slice a week's worth of onions or bell peppers and keep them in the fridge to save time on weekdays. I have 2 - a basic 3-cup Kitchenaid chopper for daily use, and an 11-cup Cuisinart for when I need anything special done.

Think carefully about what you want to use it for - for general chopping/grating of small quantities, then a basic model will suffice. If you want to julienne, chip, slice very thinly (1mm) or thickly (up to 8mm), then you will need a larger model with speciality blades.

You will generally get what you pay for with Food Processors - I went through several cheap ones before I came to my senses and bought a good one. Things to consider are:

* Feed tube size: The bigger the better because that saves you spending time chopping things up with a knife just to be able to get them in the processor!

* Availability of other accessories, such as special discs and blades.

* Power - a weak motor won't cope.

* Ease of use and clean-up: If it's a pain to use or clean, then it won't get used...

The two best brand names for home use are Kitchenaid and Cuisinart, both are around the same price range. I think that Cuisinart makes models with the widest feed tubes, and both allow you to buy additional discs.

My final tip is to keep it out and on the counter, if you possibly can. Food Processors that have to be wrestled out of cupboards rarely get used!

Paint.

A good food processor of a decent size to use for various tasks [11 to 20 cups] will cost you $200 and up new. I prefer Cuisinart over Kitchenaid.

11 to 20 cup food processors will cost you $40 and up used on Ebay!

Now, I have gotten lucky and found 11 to 20 cup food processors at thrift shops, charity sales, and garage sales for as little as $1 each. But that takes time and effort.

This http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?cmCat=search&itemId=cprod1864275 is the one I selected. I used to have a Hamilton Beach version, which is cheaper than the Cusinart, but also less powerful, and it did me well for a few years until I finally smoked it making a protein shake.

They sell these a Bed, Bath & Beyond and Linens & Things, for around $99.00, but I bought mine, factory reconditioned, at Le Gourmet Chef for 50 bucks!

thanks guys... i ususlly just use a knife, but my dorm room lacks a cutting board, and even more, the means to clean it up. i suppose i really dont need a larger one NOW, but then i also dont want to have to buy another one in the future. maybe i'll put it on my x-mas list.

I have had my 11 quart Cusinart for about 15 years now and have been really happy with it.

I recently broke the bowl but was able to find a replacement (sorry CChef!:( )

I also have had a mini chopper cuisinart for about 10 years. It's a chooper and mixer of small amounts of stuff (salad dressings, etc.) but is in no way a real food processor.

But, since you are still in the dorm, a mini one wil probably suffice for you.

Later you should consider spending the money for a larger (7 or 11 qt.) one. If you are into cooking, it'll be something that will quickly become indispensible for you.

jennyema said:
I have had my 11 quart Cusinart for about 15 years now and have been really happy with it.

I recently broke the bowl but was able to find a replacement (sorry CChef!:( )

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: That's ok jennyema! I will wait patiently!:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom