Hand mixer or Stand mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought the lift model. The lift ones are bigger and have a stronger motor. I was also concerned that the tilt head wouldn't flip up completely in my space.

They really have different purposes. I have both, but I use my hand mixer exclusively when I don't want to expend the energy to whip my egg whites by hand. Egg whites really benefit from being whipped by lifting the beater. This is best accomplished with a gigantic balloon whisk, but you can get almost the same results by using a hand mixer in the round bottom, unlined copper bowl. Just takes a tad of practice. It's good for whipping cream, too. Oftentimes I want a smaller amount than would whip well in the 5-quart bowl.

I also use the hand mixer when I need to carry one somewhere. Not going to cart the big KitchenAid around! :ermm:

lol Frank, I've been thinking of getting a Stand .. and I think I found a pretty good deal on Craigslist. It's a 5 qt Almond Lift type, 325watt, about 10 years old .. for $75!

The Pro 500 [KSM500] and the Professional 5 [KP50] are essentially the same narrow bowl lift mixer that are based on the classic k5 design. 325-350 watts.

The Professional 5 Plus [KV25] is a completely different mixer. It is a wide bowl, 450 watt mixer based on the Professional 600.

I wanted a kitchenaid forever and I got it and I never use it at all. I LOVE my hand mixer bc its small, fast and not a big clean up. I just dread cleaning the mixer all the time, so I dont use it although it is very good for making bread.

The stand mixer!

A stand mixer can handle any task a hand mixer can. The opposite is not true.

Also, a stand mixer leaves you with both hands free to add ingredients or do other tasks. It can run unattended while you go to the fridge or the pantry to fetch an ingredient.

I was about to post a question about this, and am so glad I found this thread already...
About to read through all of the comments, but am glad to have seen this one in particular!

I use a hand mixer. It's easier than dealing with the big old mixer. Unless you've got room for it on your counters you'll have to take up a lot of space to store it and it's a pain to take out whenever you need it. Also with a hand mixer you can choose the size of the bowl you use. Clean-up is easier too.
I agree. Hand blenders are the way to go. I use a Bamix Immersion Blender Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used quite a few since joining DC:

SunBeam - very old something, 100w i think, burnt out mixing CCC dough
B&D MX250 - 00ber speed demon! even at #1, returned
Cuisinart CHM-3 - Slower than the B&D, but still alil too much, lots of torque! bent a beater in CCC dough!
KitchenAid KHM3 - Older 3 spd AC version, worked pretty good, nice slower speeds, used the same beater as the CHM-3 .. but now its bent, can't use it anymore
KitchenAid KHM7T - digital speed controller, nice slow starts and ramps up to a good speed too, uses standard type beaters (doesn't need the lil nipple/bump thing at the end, just the ears)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom