Hand mixer or Stand mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
I've started doing a little baking in the last few weeks and I'm looking to take the effort away by getting a mixer but not sure whether I should get a hand mixer or a stand mixer. What do you use and what would your reasons be for choosing that particular one?

The stand mixer!

A stand mixer can handle any task a hand mixer can. The opposite is not true.

Also, a stand mixer leaves you with both hands free to add ingredients or do other tasks. It can run unattended while you go to the fridge or the pantry to fetch an ingredient.

I use a hand mixer. It's easier than dealing with the big old mixer. Unless you've got room for it on your counters you'll have to take up a lot of space to store it and it's a pain to take out whenever you need it. Also with a hand mixer you can choose the size of the bowl you use. Clean-up is easier too.

Buy a kitchen Aid stand mixer; it will last forever, mix anything you put in it and look fantastic. My charcoal gray Kitchen Aid is 7 years old and looks like new, I love it as much as I love my range master 6 ring gas stove with full size oven.

yep, a stand mixer gets my vote, too. I have a really old Hamilton Beach, would love to get a heavy duty pro KA. You can walk away from it, do something else, hands free.
That said, I think it's also good to keep a lightweight hand mixer on hand as well. It's great for little stuff when you don't want to bother with the big one, whipping cream, cake mix (I prefer a stand mixer for cakes from scratch), etc...

My vote also goes to the stand mixer. A hand mixer is good for the little things like mixing a boxed cake mix or a softer cookie dough, but when you need the versatility and power that a stand mixer offers, you'll quickly realize your hand mixer's shortcomings.

I splurged on a KitchenAid (which will probably outlive all of us lol) professional model. A stand mixer does take up some space, but not as much as people seem to think. I just leave mine in the corner of the counter top with the attachments and power cord inside the bowl-- and I have a terribly small kitchen. While hand mixers might be slightly more convenient when it comes to the aforementioned small jobs, a stand mixer can do things its smaller counterpart could never dream of, such as: kneading bread dough, pasta making/extruding, grinding your own fresh meat, making/stuffing sausage, citrus juicing, slicing, shredding, and probably a bunch of other things that I haven't even come across attachments for yet.

As was previously mentioned, a stand mixer also leaves you hands-free to fetch another ingredient, start cleaning up, answer the phone...

I hope this helps at least some in your decision making. I also had the same debate with myself a few years ago, and I am grateful that I made the decision that I did. Truth be told, now I bake more than ever because I find using my stand mixer to be fun (OK, maybe I'm lame) and so much more efficient. Whatever you decide, though, I still strongly recommend the KitchenAid brand. Happy baking!

Last edited:
I have and use both. It depends on the volume of baking and mixing I'm doing. If it is just a simple cake, single batch of brownies or cookies, the hand mixer does the job nicely and is easy to clean up. If I'm on a roll and making multiple batches of baked goods for Christmas, bake sales, church etc, the stand mixer comes out. I also use it if the dough is going to be heavy since the motor on the hand mixer won't hold up to really stiff dough. I don't have the counter space to keep the stand mixer out all the time so it is a chore to get it out of the cupboard and set up. That's why I only bring it out when I know I will be using it a lot.

Both types of mixers have their place in the kitchen. A hand mixer is great if you are making batters. Some hand mixers are strong enough to tackle cookie dough, but be prepared to spend at least $50 on up for such a mixer.

A stand mixer is far more versatile, does more than a hand mixer, and cleans up just as easy, if not easier, than a hand mixer. I own both, but if I had to reccomend just one:

Hands down, a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Why kitchenaid? It is absolutely the best for several reasons. Kitchenaid stand mixers are durable, and last for years. I've heard of people who have had their kitchenaid mixers well over a decade, and used them regularly. You get a wisk attachment, dough attachment, and batter/cookie dough attachment. This stand mixer also has optional attachments to make pasta, grind meat, make icecream, and do much much more. The driveshaft is accessible via a screw on the top front of the mixer, so you can add a myriad of attachments.

I am biased with kitchenaid, as I had amazing results with mine. My experience was so good that I now swear by kitchenaid for appliances. I have my suite of empire red kitchenaid gadgets, including blender, 12cup food processor, immersion blender, in addition to my stand mixer. I held off getting the dual beater hand mixer due to my old one working perfectly, and couldn't yet justify the empire red toaster or toaster oven. :P my toaster and toaster ovens work fine, thank you. :)

stand mixer all the way! It is pricy, but well worth the investment.

Stand mixer!

Specifically Hobart commercial stand mixers like the 5 qt Hobart N-50. It will beat a KA into the ground!

I paid far less for mine, cause I bought them used.

I paid about $500 or less apiece. I have two, and they are dynamite! They are worth as much now or more than when I bought them years ago.

I purchased a brand new KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer KSM150 Grass Green from a kitchenaid retailer on ebay for $229.00 It was $10.00 cheaper than getting it from their actual website at shopkitchenaid.com that it cost $339.00 The original price for this model is $350.00

You'll eventually get both in all likelihood. I'd start with the stand mixer and then pick up a hand mixer when you find a good deal. I use the hand mixer for whipping cream, egg whites and such but leave the stand mixer for big batches of things or thicker batters/doughs.

yea! right

I can mix me up a few cakes in luxery,or pay my car payment for 8 months.You are compareing a top of the line comercial mixer that is designed to work several hours a day every day under heavy loads.This is alot of machine for even the most fanatical home cook.I have been wanting to get a stand mixer and I am dissapointed in the fact that K/aid has chosen to use inferriour parts and flawed designes in an effort to save money.Hobart would be anybody's first choice if it was affordable.Mabey they will come out with a line of mixers for serious home cooks.

Mabey they will come out with a line of mixers for serious home cooks.
Doubtful. They had such a line and they sold it off. It was called KitchenAid. They are probably required by the deal made when they sold KA to not compete in the same market.

hand mixer vs stand mixer

Well for me its no contest its a stand mixer all the way, but you need to really consider your requirements. If you bake once in awhile and primarily cakes and cookies a hand mixer will do just fine. If your getting into breads and pasta/pizza doughs, forget it take the plunge now and get a good stand mixer and save yourself the anguish. On that note; if your going to get a stand mixer forget all the domestic specifications (motor watts) as all domestic brands even Kitchen Aid quote power at the motor shaft not the actual agitators. Its like quoting horse power at the engine not the differential. Essentially useless information. Now more then ever is a slew of offerings from many companies; most of which are either made offshore with minor cosmetic differences under the names of Cuisine Art, Viking, Kenwood, Delonghi, Wolfgang Puck. They boast high numbers and frankly I do not have much confidence in them, they are poorly engineered. One model made by Hamilton Beach looks very good for the dough (pardon the pun) for around 200.00 at 400 domestic watts but for average use is just fine an not expensive for what you get. Kitchen Aids equivalent is significantly more money but you get the options but most people do not use them.Also KA customer service is very good but for me, I would rather not have to experience it and have a more reliable machine..( their has been a slew of KA products being returned for various reasons from meltdowns to leaking oil problems) Most likely due to cutting corners by Whirlpool as older KA's were pretty much rock solid. Finally you could go for a commercial product like Hobart N50 but at 2000.00+ its quite a leap. My personal favourite based on price value, build quality and reputation is the Globe SP5. If you guys are not familiar check it out, they sell for a street price of around 600.00 made in USA built like tanks have a protection system so you can never burn the motor its a real 800 watts and can mix cement if need be. I know this unit well as I bought one for the money you cannot go wrong. But remember wait a while until your more certain of your needs don't just over buy..hope this helps you and anyone else.

We currently have a Kitchen Aid (about 7yo), the only complaint i have with it is that it doesn't reach right to the bottom of the bowl. Making you stop the machine mix it by hand to get right to the bottom.

Having said that, the vegetable slicer attachment rules!! Gratin Dauphinois has never been so easy.

We currently have a Kitchen Aid (about 7yo), the only complaint i have with it is that it doesn't reach right to the bottom of the bowl. Making you stop the machine mix it by hand to get right to the bottom.

That is something you can adjust. I don't know exactly how to do it, but someone here will. Is your mixer a tilt head, or a bowl lift?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom