"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Hand mixer or Stand mixer?

I've started doing a little baking in the last few weeks and I'm looking to take the effort away by getting a mixer but not sure whether I should get a hand mixer or a stand mixer. What do you use and what would your reasons be for choosing that particular one?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The stand mixer!

A stand mixer can handle any task a hand mixer can. The opposite is not true.

Also, a stand mixer leaves you with both hands free to add ingredients or do other tasks. It can run unattended while you go to the fridge or the pantry to fetch an ingredient.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks for your input Andy. Very good points you made, cheers
Old 09-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I use a hand mixer. It's easier than dealing with the big old mixer. Unless you've got room for it on your counters you'll have to take up a lot of space to store it and it's a pain to take out whenever you need it. Also with a hand mixer you can choose the size of the bowl you use. Clean-up is easier too.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Buy a kitchen Aid stand mixer; it will last forever, mix anything you put in it and look fantastic. My charcoal gray Kitchen Aid is 7 years old and looks like new, I love it as much as I love my range master 6 ring gas stove with full size oven.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Head Chef

yep, a stand mixer gets my vote, too. I have a really old Hamilton Beach, would love to get a heavy duty pro KA. You can walk away from it, do something else, hands free.
That said, I think it's also good to keep a lightweight hand mixer on hand as well. It's great for little stuff when you don't want to bother with the big one, whipping cream, cake mix (I prefer a stand mixer for cakes from scratch), etc...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

My vote also goes to the stand mixer. A hand mixer is good for the little things like mixing a boxed cake mix or a softer cookie dough, but when you need the versatility and power that a stand mixer offers, you'll quickly realize your hand mixer's shortcomings.

I splurged on a KitchenAid (which will probably outlive all of us lol) professional model. A stand mixer does take up some space, but not as much as people seem to think. I just leave mine in the corner of the counter top with the attachments and power cord inside the bowl-- and I have a terribly small kitchen. While hand mixers might be slightly more convenient when it comes to the aforementioned small jobs, a stand mixer can do things its smaller counterpart could never dream of, such as: kneading bread dough, pasta making/extruding, grinding your own fresh meat, making/stuffing sausage, citrus juicing, slicing, shredding, and probably a bunch of other things that I haven't even come across attachments for yet.

As was previously mentioned, a stand mixer also leaves you hands-free to fetch another ingredient, start cleaning up, answer the phone...

I hope this helps at least some in your decision making. I also had the same debate with myself a few years ago, and I am grateful that I made the decision that I did. Truth be told, now I bake more than ever because I find using my stand mixer to be fun (OK, maybe I'm lame) and so much more efficient. Whatever you decide, though, I still strongly recommend the KitchenAid brand. Happy baking!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Master Chef

I have and use both. It depends on the volume of baking and mixing I'm doing. If it is just a simple cake, single batch of brownies or cookies, the hand mixer does the job nicely and is easy to clean up. If I'm on a roll and making multiple batches of baked goods for Christmas, bake sales, church etc, the stand mixer comes out. I also use it if the dough is going to be heavy since the motor on the hand mixer won't hold up to really stiff dough. I don't have the counter space to keep the stand mixer out all the time so it is a chore to get it out of the cupboard and set up. That's why I only bring it out when I know I will be using it a lot.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Cook

Both types of mixers have their place in the kitchen. A hand mixer is great if you are making batters. Some hand mixers are strong enough to tackle cookie dough, but be prepared to spend at least $50 on up for such a mixer.

A stand mixer is far more versatile, does more than a hand mixer, and cleans up just as easy, if not easier, than a hand mixer. I own both, but if I had to reccomend just one:

Hands down, a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Why kitchenaid? It is absolutely the best for several reasons. Kitchenaid stand mixers are durable, and last for years. I've heard of people who have had their kitchenaid mixers well over a decade, and used them regularly. You get a wisk attachment, dough attachment, and batter/cookie dough attachment. This stand mixer also has optional attachments to make pasta, grind meat, make icecream, and do much much more. The driveshaft is accessible via a screw on the top front of the mixer, so you can add a myriad of attachments.

I am biased with kitchenaid, as I had amazing results with mine. My experience was so good that I now swear by kitchenaid for appliances. I have my suite of empire red kitchenaid gadgets, including blender, 12cup food processor, immersion blender, in addition to my stand mixer. I held off getting the dual beater hand mixer due to my old one working perfectly, and couldn't yet justify the empire red toaster or toaster oven. :P my toaster and toaster ovens work fine, thank you. :)

stand mixer all the way! It is pricy, but well worth the investment.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
Head Chef

Stand mixer!

Specifically Hobart commercial stand mixers like the 5 qt Hobart N-50. It will beat a KA into the ground!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote