"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Has Anyone Bought A Toaster Oven Recently

I am looking for members who have bought toaster ovens preferable nonconvection style recently. I've looked at the past posts, most are dated. I have looked at Epinion, seems the Black & Decker level of basic toaster ovens are nothing but fire starters, the next level do not toast very quickly (10 min.) time frame. Has anyone had any experince with the Panasonic that uses infrared light to toast? Low end Krups and some of the Cuisnarts also seem to have mechanical problems. I am basicly looking for info to back up what the reviews are saying. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We bought 2 two actually. We first bought one for Buck's mother and liked hers so much that we bought another just like it for us.

Here it is: GE 6-slice Toaster Oven With Rotisserie - Wal-Mart.

It is awesome. One of the things I especially like about it is that it is very, very easy to clean. It is large enough to bake a 2-quart casserole or 2 full size loaves of bread. I've done it. The rotisserie is fabulous. The whole chicken we roasted using it came out perfectly. Another thing we like about the oven is that the door opens like a refrigerator door and swings completely out of the way. No door to get in the way of moving things in and out and no hinge area to try to keep clean.

The racks are secure between tracks so there's no tipping forward as the racks are pulled to the front. That was one feature that we liked for Buck's mother. And, the way the racks are designed, there are multiple levels possible.

Can you tell I like it? Buck's mother raves about it, too.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I bought a refurbished Cuisinart toaster oven/broiler for 50 bucks American about three years ago, and I liked it so much that when a friend split with her boyfriend and moed in to her own place, I bought her one as a housewarming gift. I have no complaints and neither does she.

Previous to the Cuisinart, I had a Black & Decker, and it has been my experience that Black & Decker appliances tend to expire immediately after the warranty does.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I bought and returned 4 or 5 toaster ovens before settling on a Kenmore based on its even toasting ability. It also works well as a small oven and I have used it to broil sausage effectively.

I focussed on less expensive ovens at the time.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

I guess my B&D toaster oven must have been made on a Wednesday or something! I've had mine for well over twenty years now and haven't had one problem. I use it more than my microwave. It looks kinda beat though
Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
I got this Europro 6 slice toaster on sale at Target for $28.

http://www.euro-pro.com/europro/productdetail.aspx?pid=F6A5A892-38A1-4240-8C57-DE58BDC5D6B4(Euro-Pro+Base+Catalog)&MSCSProfile=983BB0CC620F5E6D8FDE 26829663AF163AD2383A9610507CEE21906610F9777E1F7A06 C776E455B5477AD46C1391C63673CA71B1FF5D7504D9CCA37B 3E08481768F49F125F62610A1B3936C4947B2F53BB8E7A5146 488A9C404A042AE5F2D25A47A7709FE0A14A9EB8014D2EDDFE 3BB1822A22ACAD42F1F05CBA12E8D46578EA16CAEC107A09E4 56

The back of the toaster is also curved so that you can fit a pizza up to 12 inches big in it.

When I read how dangerous microwaves are and how they destroy the vitamins and proteins in food I decided to go out and by both a toaster oven and tea kettle. I dont miss the microwave one bit
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I guess my B&D toaster oven must have been made on a Wednesday or something! I've had mine for well over twenty years now and haven't had one problem. I use it more than my microwave. It looks kinda beat though

Thats just it. You dont get the quality that was offered 20 years ago. With our country becoming a capitalist one the focus is more on the price tag than quality itself.

Me, I'd rather pay more for a quality product.

Cheers