Have they stopped making microwaves without turntables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
My microwave oven (Whirlpool brand) is at least 14 years old. It just went kaput.

I really liked this microwave because of its large volume and empty rectangular cavity. No turntable. And I love it that way.

I went to several stores to try to find a replacement, but all, all, all the models they had on sale had a turntable. Don't they make the ones without any more? I find them *so* convenient because, for instance, you can put 2 or 3 dishes in there at the same time, and there's not all that lost room you have by using a round turntable in a sqare appliance...
Furthermore, those darned turntables do break.

Why did the type of oven I have go out of existence... or maybe just on my market?

Best regards,
Alex R.

I have never had a turntable break on me. I can see your point about being able to fit more in without the wasted space that a turntable does cause. I think the turntables have taken over tough because it is the most convenient way to make sure your food is evenly cooked.

Mine is one of those over the stove type. It has a very large cavity with a turntable on the bottom and a rack above that can be adjusted up or down. I just turn the turntable off if I'm not using it. I don't know if they make the other type still or not.

I believe that the element in my oven that gave up the ghost turns.

Even with a turntable model, don't you get small pockets of less cooked food?

All the best,
Alex R.

AlexR said:
Even with a turntable model, don't you get small pockets of less cooked food?
Yes you sure can. The turntable just minimizes it, but it does not eliminate it.

I liked the ones without the turntable too, but couldn't find one when I bought my last one either. I don't see any pronounced difference in how the food cooks now that I have the turntable. I liked it better without too.

BC

They do have turntables but you can use it without--or turn the turntable off if the dish is too big. Mine also has racks.
If you are cooking or defrosting something for a long time hot spots don't build up because of the turntable and/or you don't have to "tend" to it.

Just about every microwave that I've seen in the stores these days comes with a turntable.

I don't think that there are any now, that don't.

~Corey123.

I guess it is good that I like the turn-table. Our microwave oven died a few days ago. It's amazing how much you depend on them, even when you aren't cooking something. I was in the kitchen yesterday and glanced over at the microwave to see what time it was. No more clock on the counter now!

:) Barbara

Yeah, so few microware with turntable now,even in China...

While your views is important, I will consider them with our manufacturer....

Sometimes it pays to have it fixed (at an authorized repair facility) - especially if you really like the one you have. Mine died about 10 years ago and it cost me about $36 to have repaired - $25 labor (their minimum charge) and $11 parts and sales tax - it was just a blown capacitor. Now, if the problem is a blown high voltage supply, transformer, magnetron tube - that's the time to look around for a new one ... depending on make, model, power output - parts can cost somewhere in the range of $90-$175!

If everything else works but the turntable quits - it could be as simple as a broken drive belt - probably less than $10.

I do not suggest anyone pop open the case and start poking around inside unless you are a trained, qualified, microwave repairman! There are some lethal high voltages in there ... touch the wrong thing and you are lucky if the worst that happens is that you find yourself peeling yourself off the wall on the other side of the room.

Michael in FtW said:
Sometimes it pays to have it fixed (at an authorized repair facility) - especially if you really like the one you have. Mine died about 10 years ago and it cost me about $36 to have repaired - $25 labor (their minimum charge) and $11 parts and sales tax - it was just a blown capacitor. Now, if the problem is a blown high voltage supply, transformer, magnetron tube - that's the time to look around for a new one ... depending on make, model, power output - parts can cost somewhere in the range of $90-$175!

If everything else works but the turntable quits - it could be as simple as a broken drive belt - probably less than $10.

I do not suggest anyone pop open the case and start poking around inside unless you are a trained, qualified, microwave repairman! There are some lethal high voltages in there ... touch the wrong thing and you are lucky if the worst that happens is that you find yourself peeling yourself off the wall on the other side of the room.

Yeah, my old Panasonic worked perfectly well. but the door window had cracked one day when I went to clean it, which prompted me to get the even bigger Kenmore Toast N' Wave unit.

The smaller old Panasonic didn't really go t o waste, however. Here in Eastie, one man's junk is another man's treasure!! I threw in out to be picked up the next morning, but I really didn't want it to BE picked up by the trash collector.

Someone was looking through the trash to try to salvage whatever they could. I told him about the old microwave, that it still works and that just the door window is cracked. He came back to get it within a few minutes. So HE has it now and is using it.

~Corey123.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom