"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #11
Master Chef

I have one and really like it!

But, like GG said, above, its just a little tabletop convection oven. Its not a fryer.

It oven fries stuff really well, but you can oven-fry anything in a regular oven and reduce the amount of oil you use.

An air fryer is faster and runs like a little blast furnace so the food gets quite crispy.

I basically use it instead of a toaster oven. You can even make toast in one.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I have one and really like it!

But, like GG said, above, its just a little tabletop convection oven. Its not a fryer.

You can oven-fry anything in a regular oven and reduce the amount of oil you use.

An air fryer is faster and runs like a little blast furnace so the food gets quite crispy.

I basically use it instead of a toaster oven.
If I had to only cook for myself I'd get one but once you start filling these little fryers to capacity I don't think they perform well, from what I've seen.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I wish Luckytrim would show up. He cooks some good looking food with his and often shows us on the nightly dinner thread.
With a full size convection oven and a convection toaster oven, I have no need for one, nor the counter space to spare.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have one. My wife got it for me for my birthday, fathers day or whatever a few year ago. The one we got was about $300. It did work well ( on fries, eggplant, zucchini). The cooking space was limited, so for snack purposes, it was great. But, if she wanted to make an eggplant Parm. To 'fry' up enough eggplant would take forever due to the limited internal cooking space. This wa like 4 or 5 year ago. Ive seen updated models that appear to have increased the cooking amount capacity, but for me , I wouldn't get another one. It wound up in the 'One hit wonder appliance graveyard' in my basement for a few years. My wife just recently resurrected it to make something ( I forget what). Now its sitting ( in its box) on top of a chair in the Billiards room ( fancy way of saying that I have no friends and invite no one over my house for dinner, so instead of having a dining room, I just bought a fancy pool table ( which we play only a few times a year, but thats a few times more than we would use a dining room table to collect mail and newspapers).
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I have one and it's okay, I guess. It's really too small to consider making anything substantial in it, but I did try some fries (using fresh cut potatoes). Nothing special about those, they were decent. But it works wonders on hot dogs. Makes them taste like they came right off the grill. Hot dogs are really the only reason I keep the air fryer around.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I have one. My wife got it for me for my birthday, fathers day or whatever a few year ago. The one we got was about $300. It did work well ( on fries, eggplant, zucchini). The cooking space was limited, so for snack purposes, it was great. But, if she wanted to make an eggplant Parm. To 'fry' up enough eggplant would take forever due to the limited internal cooking space. This wa like 4 or 5 year ago. Ive seen updated models that appear to have increased the cooking amount capacity, but for me , I wouldn't get another one. It wound up in the 'One hit wonder appliance graveyard' in my basement for a few years. My wife just recently resurrected it to make something ( I forget what). Now its sitting ( in its box) on top of a chair in the Billiards room ( fancy way of saying that I have no friends and invite no one over my house for dinner, so instead of having a dining room, I just bought a fancy pool table ( which we play only a few times a year, but thats a few times more than we would use a dining room table to collect mail and newspapers).
I have one of those. My bread machine lives there. I also had a juicer, but ended up just throwing it out.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I managed to rid myself of all of my MUST HAVES, I have some very happy or angry friends who ended up with all of those plugins. I have more counter space now than they have.

I still do have my Fry Daddy. I do use it during the summer when I don't want to heat up the oven for a handful of FF's.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Since I managed to rid myself of all of my MUST HAVES, I have some very happy or angry friends who ended up with all of those plugins. I have more counter space now than they have.

I still do have my Fry Daddy. I do use it during the summer when I don't want to heat up the oven for a handful of FF's.
I don't use my fryers much, but I too have a Fry Daddy and I also have a larger basket-fryer. I like that one better because once I lower the food down in, I can close the lid while the food cooks, which reduces splashes of oil all over my counter.

I don't have a ton of stuff on my counters, either. I hate clutter. Besides my microwave and toaster oven (both get a lot of use) the smaller appliances I have on my counter that are used on a regular basis consist of my compact coffee maker, the toaster and my electric can opener. And that's it. My other small appliances live on shelves in the store room until I need them for something.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Before I became so ill, I lived the blessed life of aloneness!. So the Fry Daddy was perfect for me. Just a handful of frozen FF and I was happy. But since Pirate had to move in to care for me, he eats twice the amount of FF's that I do in one sitting. I have been known to have a small bag of FF's last for two months or even longer. With him here, I now am lucky if a large bag makes it through the month.

My downfall is BUTTER! Put a popsicle stick in a hunk of butter, and I am so happy. Even butter on my FF's.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
Executive Chef

We got one as a gift. Gotham is the brand. Round style.
I would have never bought one. But since we got it for Christmas we tried it first with frozen fries.
They came out crispy to my surprise.
Then my wife made some chicken nuggets and told me they came out equally as crispy.
She made bacon once as well and it performed as advertised.
However the basket that holds the food is way to small for most main courses. The bacon took three times to get what I fry up in a pan.

I have a convection counter top and its not the same as the air fryer. Not even close.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote