"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I was just in HHGregg and passed by their chest freezers. They are very very inexpensive. I could not live without my freezers!! A manual defrost can be a PITA, but they are better for the food. I had an upright for a number of years. It did make me clean it out!!
The garage is not a bad place for a chest freezer.
You will enjoy a freezer --and your FoodSaver.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thank you everyone. I knew I could come here for the best answers. You guys really gave me something to think about. We are going to go looking again tomorrow.
(ps) I do love my foodsaver. Oh, I wish I had had one when all five of my children were at home. I loved reading all the post on how you all use yours. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I have an upright freezer that I have to defrost manually. I do that in the spring when we have used up most of our frozen produce from last year. It's kind of a pain, but not that big of a deal. We got our a Sams. I would be lost without mine because even though I can alot of veggies, some of them I like alot better frozen.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Too bad you don't live closer to NJ, I'd give you mine. It's practically new.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

I agree with the upright manual defrost. The frostfree ones cycle the freeze/thaw mechanism. I was told this is fine for short term storage but if you want ot keep things for more than a month, go for the manual. My problem with chest freezer would be it has a rather large flat surface (the lid) that DH would store stuff on and I'd never be able to get to the food! He sees a flat surface and thinks "What can I store there?" kitchen table, counter tops, desk, coffeetable, endtables, dresser etc. HA!HA!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I once had a 17-cubic-ft. frost-free Woods upright.

When I moved, I had to sell it because the stairs are way too narrow to get it upstairs. I DID however, go out to Lowe's and bought a 5.0-cubic-ft. Frigidaire chest model.

And I've always read that chest freezers help maintain the cold better when the lid is opened, over uprights because with an upright, the cold air tends to escape out the bottom of the unit when the door is opened.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #17
Master Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
Too bad you don't live closer to NJ, I'd give you mine. It's practically new.
May I ask why you want to give it away?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #18
Master Chef

Picking up on what Corey said .... cold air falls - hot air rises.

In a chest-type freezer, when you open the lid the cold air stays in since it is falling down. On an upright freezer, when you open the door the cold air falls out the front.

As for manual or frost-free ... I'm divided. Both have advantages and drawbacks. A lot depends on how your food is packaged.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Like the fridge, frost-free or frostless operation is the most convenient one to use over manual defrost.

But it costs you more to run annually, mainly because there are more components associated with it, such as the fan, timer and heater.

Manual defrost helps save you operating expense, but it's a pure pain when it comes time to defrost the freezer!! It makes a mess and water is all over the place!

To defost mine, I just unplug it for a few minutes - and with the food still in it. The frost that has piled up on the walls usually loosen easily enough to get off in lage whole pieces. Then I plug the unit back in. What could be easier?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #20
Sous Chef

If your freezer isn't packed and the frost hasn't built up on the shelves, it may not be difficult to defrost. That was never my case!!
For the original poster--a chest freezer may be just what you need and will use well. The ones I saw were under $150. I have not seen a manual defrost upright for under $350. Maybe this is an economics question. I don't know what or how much at a time you want to freeze--nor, I suspect do any other posters. Organization in chest freezer into wire baskets is helpful. AND just having a small freezer may lend itself to shopping for your buys a month or so at a time--and not for very long term storage.
I have had extra freezers all my married life and LOVE it. But I definitely overdo it, and right now, need to "eat out of my freezer" to reduce what is in there.