Help-buying a freezer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JoAnn L. said:
May I ask why you want to give it away?

It was given to me brand new. At the time, I thought it was a good idea to have one. But later I found that the food was kept in there way too long. By the time the fridge or pantry is empty, the freezer (in my fridge) needs to be restocked with meats. This way I always have fresh meats on hand rather than 4-5 month old meats. I have to keep it in my cellar which is a slight hassle.

I only cook for myself and my wife, I could see it being useful for a family of 4 or more.

Just my opinion.:chef:

Use PAM in freezer?

Yeah! We finally made up our minds on a freezer. It will be here on Friday. We are getting a 7.2 cu. ft. chest style. Manual defrost.
My question now is, I have a booklet on different uses for PAM. It says that you can spray the PAM on the inside surface and it will "help" stop frost buildup. And when you do defrost it, the ice will come off in sheets. Has anyone ever tried this?

wow, VERY helpful thread! I have been wanting to get a stand-alone freezer also, and never knew or considered the information given here! It is so much cheaper to buy in bulk and freeze in smaller portions. And, my daughter would really appreciate a new freezer so she isn't peppered with falling meat and veggies everytime she goes to get a glass of ice...

Joann, glad you found one!!! Let us know how it works out for you!

JoAnn L. said:
Yeah! We finally made up our minds on a freezer. It will be here on Friday. We are getting a 7.2 cu. ft. chest style. Manual defrost.
My question now is, I have a booklet on different uses for PAM. It says that you can spray the PAM on the inside surface and it will "help" stop frost buildup. And when you do defrost it, the ice will come off in sheets. Has anyone ever tried this?

I've never heard of that, but if it works, I'd say go for it!

I defrost my freezer without even removing any of the frozen food! I just unplug the unit for a few minutes with the lid open, since I'm more than likely always getting something out of there anyway.

The frost just slips off the side walls with the slightest push. I just remove the large chunks of ice, throw them in the sink, and viola, I'm done!!

Corey123 said:
I've never heard of that, but if it works, I'd say go for it!

I defrost my freezer without even removing any of the frozen food! I just unplug the unit for a few minutes with the lid open, since I'm more than likely always getting something out of there anyway.

The frost just slips off the side walls with the slightest push. I just remove the large chunks of ice, throw them in the sink, and viola, I'm done!!

Love your idea. Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom