"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Master Chef

Help-buying a freezer.

We are thinking of buying a small chest type freezer. There is just the two of us. I just bought a foodsaver and am thinking of storing more food in a freezer. We were out and about this morning and were price checking them. So far I think Menards has the best price. Do you have the manual defrost? Are you happy with it? What size freezer do you have? We just joined Sam's Club. They have some great buys but right now I just don't have room for anything. Thanks for your idea's. JoAnn

Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

For a stand alone freezer, I recommend a manual defrost type over a frost-free. The manual defrost type is better for longer term storage as the temperature is maintained at a more even level.

Also, an upright freezer gives you better access to foods than a chest type where you have layers of food on top of each other.

We bought our freezer from Sears (Kenmore) and are quite happy with it.

Consider getting a larger size than you think you'll need. I wish I had.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
For a stand alone freezer, I recommend a manual defrost type over a frost-free. The manual defrost type is better for longer term storage as the temperature is maintained at a more even level.

Also, an upright freezer gives you better access to foods than a chest type where you have layers of food on top of each other.

Thanks Andy, for your input. There is a lot to think about.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Head Chef

On the plus side with a chest freezer they are more economical to run and therefore more environmentally friendly too. I prefer to have a chest freezer because I like that things that are awkward to get on normal freezer shelves can be accomodated. I absolutely agree with Andy though, that things can be awkward. We don't have a big freezer at all now (will do on return to UK: we'll be getting a chest freezer) but I have a good system of sealing with coloured tags on bags (green for veg, red for meat yellow for other) and use the hanging basket storage for everything that is needed. A basic freezer inventory taped to the side with a pen/pencil tied on is also a considerable asset and is very very quick and easy once you have got used to it. :)
Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

My ideas...

I have three chest type.
I agree with manual defrost..I have two of these...one frost free.
I wish I had space for an upright...as the chest can be a pain sometimes. It seems the more you look for something the more "stirred" it becomes.
So I would recommend..upright if you have the space for it and can afford the addtional cost...also I echo the buy bigger than you think you will need.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have 3 freezers. At first we bought the small one, which we outgrew really fast, and then came a bit biger one, and finally we got a full size one, now we are happy. Funny thing all 3 of them are still in use.

The one I like the most is upright frostless freezer. The ones we have are all upright.

The chest freezers in my opinion are very inconvinient to use. You pile stuff on the top of each other and then you do not know what's on the bottom, and/or can't get to the bottom. No-no, if you are getting frezer do not get chest type. Get upright.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

I agree completely with what Andy says. I've always had a freezer/freezers. When all 5 children were at home we had two. One was 31 cubic feet. The other 16 cubic feet. This in addition to the large one we had in our refrigerator. They were all almost always full.

The largest one was manual defrost, which could be a pain in the butt. I discovered a way to make it less problematic, so it then was less of a chore.

I would never have a chest-type freezer for the reasons others have already stated. Even my brother, who is extremely obsessive about organization, has trouble keeping the things in his chest freezer organized and unjumbled.

And, YES, do purchase a freezer larger than you think you are going to need. Buck and I bought a new one a couple of years ago to replace the old 31 cubic foot one. We bought a 22 cubic foot one and, sometimes, that is almost too small for the two of us. I don't know what I'd do without my freezer.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

I guess it depends what you are going to put in there. I am interested that people have so much trouble organising their freezers, I am the least organised person I know and I found the chest freezer ok, in fact, preferable to the upright. And as I say, what you put in there. We get a half pig (butcherd, but still big pieces) once a year, a whole one if we are very lucky, and a lamb. I prefer to have them at the bottom where I know about them rather than squeeze them into selves too small. Although frozen turkey does not appeal too much I think my parents might start running a frew turkey and geese, and if I benefit from that in the future I would like to drop them in the bottom too!

What we all agree on is the bigger the freezer the better. They always fill up, and if you are not stocking it full fill it with tupperwares full of water to keep running costs down! Full freezers are cheaper to run!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

We have had both kinds of freezers, I prefer the upright frostfree. Don't have any right now, since retired, I buy when I need something, therefore needing less space. Though we do have a nice side by side fridge, there is enough space for us.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Head Chef

I also have an upright frost free model (25 cubic feet) by Frigidaire. It works well and has a lot of room. The chest freezer in my aunt's house was not all that practical. You always had to bend and move stuff around to get to something you wanted to get out. If you have the money spend it on an upright.