"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Help Buying a Panini Press

Hey, I was looking to buy a panini press. I've been doing lots of research and reading some guides, but I cannot settle on which one to buy? I was planning on buying the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler, Silver, Black Dials, but it is quite expensive, what do you guys think of it?

I'm mainly going to use it for cooking panini's for my girlfriend and I, so no mass production or anything like that... All feedback welcome!

Old 03-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had the Griddler for several years and really like it. In addition to panini, I use it for pancakes and meats such as burgers, chicken, etc. I believe you can also get waffle iron plates for it.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
Master Chef

Welcome to DC, Natty. Like Andy, I have an older Cuisinart Griddler and love it. It's at least 10 years old, so it did outlast the $99 dollar price - which is what it listed for when I got mine.

If you're looking for functional AND cheap, why not wrap a brick in aluminum foil? You can heat the brick on the pan as you preheat the pan, then put the hot side of the brick on top of the sandwich when you put it on the pan. If the idea of a brick bothers you, you can do the same thing with a second pan, preferably a cast iron one. Not only will you get a tasty sandwich, you'll impress your girl with your thriftiness and creative problem-solving.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef

If all you're going to do is make panini, this is the best deal for the money. 40 bucks American at Overstock.com and it will last you two lifetimes without any breakdowns.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Hey, I was looking to buy a panini press. I've been doing lots of research and reading some guides, but I cannot settle on which one to buy? I was planning on buying the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler, Silver, Black Dials, but it is quite expensive, what do you guys think of it?

I'm mainly going to use it for cooking panini's for my girlfriend and I, so no mass production or anything like that... All feedback welcome!

I have the Cuisinart and it does a nice job + it can do other things as well.
But for panini's I really like my ribbed cast iron pan.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Krups

We have a Krups that we are very happy with. I have had it for over 10 years
Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Welcome to DC, Natty. Like Andy, I have an older Cuisinart Griddler and love it. It's at least 10 years old, so it did outlast the $99 dollar price - which is what it listed for when I got mine.

If you're looking for functional AND cheap, why not wrap a brick in aluminum foil? You can heat the brick on the pan as you preheat the pan, then put the hot side of the brick on top of the sandwich when you put it on the pan. If the idea of a brick bothers you, you can do the same thing with a second pan, preferably a cast iron one. Not only will you get a tasty sandwich, you'll impress your girl with your thriftiness and creative problem-solving.
That's my method. A two burner cast iron griddle and a 10 inch square Griswold skillet. Works as well for a bacon press.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Our press got broken, so we may go with the cast iron weight and pan SLoB suggested or get another CI griddle as a weight for our other griddle. We don't use the press enough to replace it.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Master Chef

Another vote for the low tech double CI frying pan method.

The brownie, number 5 in the article, does make a convincing argument for buying a panini press!

18 Surprising Things You Can Make In A Panini Press
Old 03-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We have a Krups that we are very happy with. I have had it for over 10 years
The SC brought this into the marriage 8 yrs ago. In those eight years, he's hauled it out of the top cabinet about 4 times but it does a nice job.

If I were you, I'd go with the foil wrapped brick. If it's good enough for the tv show "The Chew", it should be good enough for anybody. They did a beautiful Cuban sandwich that way the other day.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote