Help Buying a Panini Press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natty

Assistant Cook
Hey, I was looking to buy a panini press. I've been doing lots of research and reading some guides, but I cannot settle on which one to buy? I was planning on buying the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler, Silver, Black Dials, but it is quite expensive, what do you guys think of it?

I'm mainly going to use it for cooking panini's for my girlfriend and I, so no mass production or anything like that... All feedback welcome!

I've had the Griddler for several years and really like it. In addition to panini, I use it for pancakes and meats such as burgers, chicken, etc. I believe you can also get waffle iron plates for it.

Welcome to DC, Natty. Like Andy, I have an older Cuisinart Griddler and love it. It's at least 10 years old, so it did outlast the $99 dollar price - which is what it listed for when I got mine.

If you're looking for functional AND cheap, why not wrap a brick in aluminum foil? You can heat the brick on the pan as you preheat the pan, then put the hot side of the brick on top of the sandwich when you put it on the pan. If the idea of a brick bothers you, you can do the same thing with a second pan, preferably a cast iron one. Not only will you get a tasty sandwich, you'll impress your girl with your thriftiness and creative problem-solving. ;)

If all you're going to do is make panini, this is the best deal for the money. 40 bucks American at Overstock.com and it will last you two lifetimes without any breakdowns.

Lodge-Logic-10.25-inch-Grill-Pan-with-Grill-Press-cb2eb75e-e93c-4021-90a8-4c9714e8b4df.jpg

Hey, I was looking to buy a panini press. I've been doing lots of research and reading some guides, but I cannot settle on which one to buy? I was planning on buying the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler, Silver, Black Dials, but it is quite expensive, what do you guys think of it?

I'm mainly going to use it for cooking panini's for my girlfriend and I, so no mass production or anything like that... All feedback welcome!

I have the Cuisinart and it does a nice job + it can do other things as well.
But for panini's I really like my ribbed cast iron pan.

Welcome to DC, Natty. Like Andy, I have an older Cuisinart Griddler and love it. It's at least 10 years old, so it did outlast the $99 dollar price - which is what it listed for when I got mine.

If you're looking for functional AND cheap, why not wrap a brick in aluminum foil? You can heat the brick on the pan as you preheat the pan, then put the hot side of the brick on top of the sandwich when you put it on the pan. If the idea of a brick bothers you, you can do the same thing with a second pan, preferably a cast iron one. Not only will you get a tasty sandwich, you'll impress your girl with your thriftiness and creative problem-solving. ;)

That's my method. A two burner cast iron griddle and a 10 inch square Griswold skillet. Works as well for a bacon press.

Our press got broken, so we may go with the cast iron weight and pan SLoB suggested or get another CI griddle as a weight for our other griddle. We don't use the press enough to replace it.

We have a Krups that we are very happy with. I have had it for over 10 years

The SC brought this into the marriage 8 yrs ago. In those eight years, he's hauled it out of the top cabinet about 4 times but it does a nice job.;)

If I were you, I'd go with the foil wrapped brick. If it's good enough for the tv show "The Chew", it should be good enough for anybody. They did a beautiful Cuban sandwich that way the other day.

The SC brought this into the marriage 8 yrs ago. In those eight years, he's hauled it out of the top cabinet about 4 times but it does a nice job.;)

If I were you, I'd go with the foil wrapped brick. If it's good enough for the tv show "The Chew", it should be good enough for anybody. They did a beautiful Cuban sandwich that way the other day.

Is the brick heated or just used as a weight?

Another one here for improvising with a foil wrapped brick, or weighting down with a CI pan. Sometimes I'll just turn up the heat a bit and smoosh the sandwich down with a steel spatula and hold it there till it gets a nice crust. I'm cooking for one most of the time and don't need another small appliance - although I argue with myself about it sometimes. :ermm::LOL:

Rick, I don't bother heating the brick. :)

Last edited:
Natty, if all you want to do is press panini, then the brick or skillet will do the trick.

However, if you're interested in the other things you can do with a griddler, it's a good machine and will earn its keep.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom