Help choosing toaster oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Hi everyone. Like just about everything i have a hard time making a decision. I'm hoping you guys can help. SO here are two i'm having a hard time deciding between:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasoni...er-Oven-With-No-Preheating-Required/374483315

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-Air-Fryer-Toaster-Oven-No-Oil-No-Splatter-No-Mess/718543483

What i like about the Farberware is the air fryer functionality. At first i thought air fryers were a gimmick (i thought most of them were just small convection ovens). After researching this doesn't seem to be the case. They seem to get food much crunchier because having a small enclosed cavity and greater air flow. What i don't like about this unit is there are temp limitations depending on what mode you use. For example convection bake is limited to 425. I don't know why they couldn't have raised it to at least 450. Its its bigger than the panasonc unit to which isn't a huge issue but i definitely would prefer a smaller unit.

What i don't know is how well the air fryer functionality in a toaster oven would compare to one of the more traditional air fryers. Is it a gimmick or would you get similar results? I was inspecting the unit today and noticed the fan shroud at the top of the unit is MUCH bigger than what you see in a traditional toaster oven.

If anyone has seen one of the panasonic FlashXpress? The panasonic unit i listed i believe is an update of that unit. Its much bigger, has a convection feature, & looks much nicer. The difference is it has both Infra Red heating (top two elements) and traditional heating coils (bottom two elements). Whats so great about this? It works like somewhat like a microwave in that you just put your food in and turn it on. Absolutely no preheating. The only small negative compared to the older unit is it only goes to 450 rather than 500.

The creme da la creme or course is the breville units. I almost talked myself into it but i just can't justify spending $400 on a toaster oven. What do you guys think? Honest i think if i knew the air fryer mode of the farberware worked well thats what i would probably go with otherwise i would probably choose the panasonic.

I bought an Oster Designed for Life Convection Toaster Oven at Walmart for under $50.00.

It has the convection feature is easy to operate and more importantly for me easy to clean. The only disadvantage for me is that it takes up a significant amount of counter space.

I stayed at the lower price point mainly because every old toaster oven I've seen is so gross that I would rather buy an inexpensive one every few years.

Good luck!

The decision should be fairly easy. How important is the air fryer feature for you? Is it worth the counter space?

The decision should be fairly easy. How important is the air fryer feature for you? Is it worth the counter space?

The reason that is not easy is how well do air fryers actually work :). I've tried to do a lot of research on them. There are some people saying their great and others say they are hyped up convection ovens and your waisting your money if you already have a convection oven.. That's the big question. The other question is if they do work well how well would one integrated a toaster oven rather than the traditional design of an air fryer.

Breville. Or similar. It looks like the kind of oven you buy once.
Never had one or used one. But it does look like top of the line.

Our Kitchenaid oven works great, has convection and costs about $100. Within two years the lettering on the knobs wore off and there was no way to set the oven temp or function.
Kitchenaid replaced all the knobs at no cost.

When I buy a new one, I'm taking the next step up. We use ours quite a bit, but NEVER for toast. It takes to long.

Breville Smart Oven. I have tried several others, and was never happy. Since I got this, I use it more than my big oven. The air fryer works OK - not the same as deep frying, but passable. I haven't tried the dehydrator.

I can't help you with the air fryer version, but we have the Breville oven, and are very pleased with it. We use it more than the big oven (just two of us). If it fits in the Breville (it holds a quarter sheet), that's what we use. It heats up in less than 5 minutes, unlike the big wall oven which takes 15 - 20 minutes.

I bought a B&D a couple of months ago.. Passed on the air fryer option..

Can't speak for long term but so far I love it.. Haven't used my big oven since I bought the TO..

Does everything the big oven did/does (2 people) ..

Ross

Just remember that the bigger the toaster oven, the longer it takes to make toast. I bought the Oster Extra Large Digital Countertop Convection Oven, which would cook a 16-inch pizza, but it took a good 10 minutes to make two slices of toast to go with my eggs!

Toaster ovens and electric kettles, to me, are appliances that I don't give much thought into when purchasing. I don't look for additional features other than what they're basically intended for. I get what's cheap, on sale, use the hell out of them, discard when they break, then by another, and repeat.

I bought an Oster Designed for Life Convection Toaster Oven at Walmart for under $50.00.

It has the convection feature is easy to operate and more importantly for me easy to clean. The only disadvantage for me is that it takes up a significant amount of counter space.

I stayed at the lower price point mainly because every old toaster oven I've seen is so gross that I would rather buy an inexpensive one every few years.

Good luck!

Toaster ovens and electric kettles, to me, are appliances that I don't give much thought into when purchasing. I don't look for additional features other than what they're basically intended for. I get what's cheap, on sale, use the hell out of them, discard when they break, then by another, and repeat.

I so agree with the bold text. In addition, my TO counter is limited to no more than 18" wide between the wall and the stove. Over the last 11 years, I've had two Black and Decker units that fit and they are inexpensive with all the features I want.

Back
Top Bottom