"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Cooking with electric is like steering an oil tanker: you need to plan your moves well in advance.

Possibly, if your apartment is like my old dorm, it's a garbage stove that will never get hot enough to fry anything.

"It's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for my electric personality."
-Red Green
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
Master Chef
I've used both gas and electric stoves, and in a perfect world, I'd have a gas cook top and an electric oven.
That being said, my new electric glass top stove is wonderful. It heats up and cools off very quickly, and the temps are very accurate.

However...I have cooked with a lot of apartment stoves, and I suggest you follow Uncle Bob's advice about getting an oven thermometer, and then just get to know your stove and what it will do.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest investing in an electric skillet. You can go to the discount store and get a real nice one for about $30. Get the big rectangular shaped one with a deep lid, and you can use it for anything from frying chicken to making pancakes, burgers, casseroles and more. And you always know what the exact cooking temperature is.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Lightbulb Cast Iron

And for your pancakes I would recommend a good cast iron pan or griddle. The temperature will be more uniform as it takes longer to heat than stainless (and to cool, as well). You should have no problem with pancakes that way.

pugger is offline   Reply With Quote