HELP - Cooking w/Electric vs. Gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinamarie

Assistant Cook
I've been using gas ovens/Stoves all my life and we just got our apartment 2 months ago and I still cant seem to get the hang of this electric oven/stove. My food either comes out burned or undercooked. I cant even seem to make pancakes. I been using the oven/stove for about 2 Months now. I heard it was going to be an adjustment, but i figured heat was heat. LOL

Any suggestions on what the difference is and why i am having trouble cooking? Any suggestions on how to cook my food?

Last edited:
Electric vs. gas shouldn't cause you to be burned or undercooked. Eithe type should keep the oven to the temperature you set it at. One possibility is that the oven temperature is off or the thermostat is defective. That does happen. A service tech can check for that and correct any problem.

I've seen some good tips on using electric ranges on this site. I think alot of the problem is when you adjust the temp, it takes some time for the grate to adjust. I think I read somewhere to keep one of the spare grates on medium so you can move the pan if it gets too hot.

Never had the pleasure to use one of those, but I do know they stink at lighting cigarettes. Smells like pancakes.

I've been using gas ovens all my life and we just got our apartment 2 months ago and I still cant seem to get the hang of this electric oven. My food either comes out burned or undercooked. I cant even seem to make pancakes.

You're making pancakes in the oven? That could be your problem right there. Pancake batter will fall right through the wires and stick to the bottom of the oven. Panckes should be made in a skillet or on a griddle on top of the stove.

If you're talking about burning or undercooking things in the oven, go to Wally World, Martha Mart, or a kitchen gadget store and buy yourself an oven thermometer to ascertain the accuracy of the oven's internal thermostat. If you're talking about burning and/or undercooking things on top of the stove, well, just remember that electric elements take time to heat up and cool down. Turn the desired burner ON and allow it to sit for a while until it is all glowing. Then put the pot or pan on the burner and allow it to preheat before you put whatever you are planning to cook into it. When you're done cooking, turn off the burner and remove the pot or pan to a cold burner or to the counter top.

Last edited:
Buy an oven thermometer and check the (actual) oven temperature, against where you have it set...The two should be fairly close...

Welcome to DC...

Enjoy!

Thanks for the Help so far. I was thinking the main problem was that the temperature was off by some degrees. It is an older stove/oven since we are in an apartment. So I will try the thermostat and see how it goes from there....

With electric it is very important that when you are baking you keep the rack it the top 1/2 or top 1/3 of the overn. You don't want the baking pans directly over the oven coil.

On the stove top, heat the pans over medium heat. I only use HIGH if I am boiling water, otherwise I heat my pans on #4 or #5. It may take a bit longer but they heat more evenly. I have also found that thin-bottom pans burn more than heavier pans, Stainless steel, or cast iron.

A good electric stove is a good stove. An apartment stove might have been abused, never been calibrated, or just a cheap stove with little difference between low and high. I had an apartment stove that truly could melt pans on high.

The oven thermometer is a great idea. Thick metal pans will cook in the lower part of the oven, pyrex glass and ceramic in the middle.

Coils have hot spots with air space in between. Thick heavy bottom pans work best on electric as they help spread the heat. You may find "burner plates" at a kitchen store...Nordic Ware makes some. They are big help evening out the heat, but they do take a little preheating. Just so, youcan turn your burner off a few minutes early as they carry residual heat.

Cooking with electric is like steering an oil tanker: you need to plan your moves well in advance.

Possibly, if your apartment is like my old dorm, it's a garbage stove that will never get hot enough to fry anything.

I've used both gas and electric stoves, and in a perfect world, I'd have a gas cook top and an electric oven.
That being said, my new electric glass top stove is wonderful. It heats up and cools off very quickly, and the temps are very accurate.

However...I have cooked with a lot of apartment stoves, and I suggest you follow Uncle Bob's advice about getting an oven thermometer, and then just get to know your stove and what it will do.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest investing in an electric skillet. You can go to the discount store and get a real nice one for about $30. Get the big rectangular shaped one with a deep lid, and you can use it for anything from frying chicken to making pancakes, burgers, casseroles and more. And you always know what the exact cooking temperature is.

Cast Iron

And for your pancakes I would recommend a good cast iron pan or griddle. The temperature will be more uniform as it takes longer to heat than stainless (and to cool, as well). You should have no problem with pancakes that way. ;)

Back
Top Bottom