"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi Guys,

Here's an update following further research into semi-professional ranges in Australia.

Australia imports most of its appliances from Europe - some cheap and nasty all the way up to Gaggenau. Sure, its possible to get a nice looking stainless steel range for reasonable dollars, but generally you get what you pay for...

This is why we've been looking at Vikings. By all accounts it seems Viking is the only 'serious' brand being officially being imported into the country. There is one importer, but most top end retailers throughout the country sell it. Few have them in stock so every Viking is ordered and delivery takes 12 weeks. Why is there no stock in Australia? - well, consider the multitude of models and configurations plus the cost. Added to this the very low volume sales.

Anyhow...

We went into a high street appliance dealer to get the low down on the all gas Viking to get the views on gas vs electric. Pretty much comes down to what some of you have said - that is, gas does not produce dry heat and heat distribution can be poor. On the first issue, the salesman said not all cooking requires dry heat - only if where crisping is critical (which electric oven are particularly good at). The flip side to this is, according to the salesman, was food like roasts, vegetable etc, do well in a slightly moist environment. Do you agree?

On the issue of uneven heating, the advice was that Viking have developed a convection function which forces hot air throughout thus overcoming this problem.

I also made further enquiries about importing a Wolf dual fuel.

Wolf in Bangkok referred me to a retailer in Singapore who has had experience sending Wolf ranges to Australia. What I liked about Wolf was that they make a 240V 50 Hz unit which matches our local electricity supply. The killer punch was price - about US$14,000 for a 36" or US$17K for a 48" plus shipping. I pretty much gave up on the idea of importing one immediately - these prices are rediculous.

When I weight it up, I can get a Viking for significantly less money and I have access to service should something go wrong. On the issue of using gas, I said to my wife if it bothered her so much, we could consider buying an electric oven (eg Miele or Bosch or similar) on sale and use it when precise, dry heat was required. What do you think?

Richard

Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Having an electric wall oven in addition to qa gas oven on your stove will also give you added capacity for larger meals and holidays.

Sounds like you don't have a lot of reasonable choices. It also sounds like you really want a Viking. The fates are conspiring to position you so that your most practical choice is the one you want in the first place.

Go for it.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
Executive Chef

DCS (dynamic cooking systems) now part of Fischer and Paykel. Is that available down under? THey are very good. THat would be a reasonable alternative. How does price compare?