HELP! I Think I'm Screwed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel for you Andy. A large recipe (triple I think) of pizza dough took ours out. I replaced the gear myself and bought a spare to have on hand.

I typically end up with parts left over and still have to take the item to a professional. Then I have to pay the professional extra to fix my screwing it up as well as the original problem.

First thing... make sure it is unplugged... sheesh.. THAT needs mentioning.

While was watching that video, I couldn't help thinking he probably took that mixer apart earlier and reassembled it to make sure the parts would come apart easily for the video. A mixer that's been used for 10 years is not that clean and not that easy to take apart. While I watch that and think that looks easy to do, even for me, I have to remind myself of all the esy things I've screwed up.

Ha, ha, ha! You laugh, but don't forget the CYA in all the appliance manuals these days. Eg. for an iron, "don't iron while wearing garment."

It's a sad commentary on our society that a statement like that has to be added to instructions.

Ha, ha, ha! You laugh, but don't forget the CYA in all the appliance manuals these days. Eg. for an iron, "don't iron while wearing garment."

Not trying to be mean to Andy, I think he has lots of good sense, but he gets to be our example cause it is his mixer. :)

You take a guy like Andy, who has admitted not being all that handy with projects like this. He takes the laptop into the kitchen to work on this. Sets it up and watched the video and goes back and forth to use it as a step by step. He opens the back cover and exposes the green, white and black wires on terminals. Touches them while fidgeting with the front part and wakes up (hopefully) looking at the ceiling wondering when he had time to have an all night binge on tequila while working on his mixer.

It seems like very common sense, but when people do something like this for the first time (and possibly the only time in their lives) and are already nervous about it, they tend to follow the steps step by step. The first step in the video should be to be sure the mixer is unplugged.

Not trying to be mean to Andy, I think he has lots of good sense, but he gets to be our example cause it is his mixer. :)

No offense taken. I actually noticed the video left out the warning to have the mixer unplugged.

I'm a fairly meticulous person. However, as careful as I am, things like this seem to take the hardest path for me. I'm sure that mixer was opened and reassembled before the video was made. That's OK for the sake of the video but gives people like me a false sense of confidence.

I've learned my lesson over time. (Just like I've learned not to grab the handle of a pan that just came out of a 400º F oven)

No offense taken. I actually noticed the video left out the warning to have the mixer unplugged.

I'm a fairly meticulous person. However, as careful as I am, things like this seem to take the hardest path for me. I'm sure that mixer was opened and reassembled before the video was made. That's OK for the sake of the video but gives people like me a false sense of confidence.

I've learned my lesson over time. (Just like I've learned not to grab the handle of a pan that just came out of a 400º F oven)

Touche... touche.... :LOL:

I just called a local (45 minutes from me) KA repair shop. He quoted me $45 plus the part to fix the problem. Not bad. KA wanted $32 for a shipping kit and $25 inspection fee before any work was done.

I think I'll take a drive later this week and drop it off.

I was kneading some bagel dough in my KA Professional 5 (350 watts) when I heard a click/snap and the dough hook stopped while the motor continued to run.

Sounds like a transmission issue?

Bummer. Before you spend $$ I just have to ask the (just in case you forgot) obvious question.. Does your KA have overload protection and did it trip? Did you push the little black reset button?

Bummer. Before you spend $$ I just have to ask the (just in case you forgot) obvious question.. Does your KA have overload protection and did it trip? Did you push the little black reset button?

I don't think it would be that since he said the motor kept running when the dough hook stopped.

The planetary gear should cost around $9~$13. With the the cost of labor, $60 total is not bad. Though you could save $45 and try to repair it yourself =)

The planetary gear should cost around $9~$13. With the the cost of labor, $60 total is not bad. Though you could save $45 and try to repair it yourself =)

But then I'd have to drive 50 minutes to the repair shop to get my mixer back...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom